UNIVERSITY COXSWAIN'S ROPES GO TO SULLIVAN

LINE-UP OF COMBINATION CREW STILL UNDETERMINED

Red Top. Conn., June 13--Saturday saw the usual routine of practice for the University crew and today was marked by trips for both the Blue and Crimson Squads on the yachts of admirers. Though the University crew remains unchanged in its seating, the choice of a coxswain for the major race has come as a surprise to followers of the sport in Cambridge. F. R. Sullivan '27 has been moved to the position of first cox, and W. E. Beer '26 to the Junior University crew.

Yesterday the University oarsmen rowed eight miles. They went downstream to the railroad bridge and then up the four miles over the regular racing course. The flags were not in place so that no effort was made to keep to the Race Day course. No time was taken for the trial. Coach Haines kept them rowing an alternately high and low stroke, changing every half mile.

Catch Much Improved

The crew shows a great deal of power at the finish, a characteristic more marked in the breach than the observance among University crews of recent years. There is apparent, too, a better catch than usual with a consequent reduction in waste effort. The coach is devoting all his time and energy to improving the general form, realizing the curtailment placed upon him by lack of time.

Today the University squad, as the guests of J. P. Morgan on his yacht Corsair, journeyed almost as far as Newport. Harry Paine Whitney's houseboat, Captiva, took the Yale squad for a sail this afternoon. No rowing was done in either camp today.

A time row was held for the Crimson Freshmen, and the time, remarkably fast, especially under rather unfavorable conditions, was not given out. The trial was rowed over the upper two miles of the tour-mile course. The wind was blowing upstream and the tide was running in.

The 'Junior University crew paddled over the course three times yesterday. No changes have been made in the seating of the boat, the only change being the return of Beer to the coxswain's ropes, where he held sway earlier in the season.

Coach Brown has been experimenting with the Combination crew, and changed the seating three times on Saturday. O. A. Pendar '27 and D. S. Greer '29 were tried at stroke. W. K. Rice '27 and R. S. Riley '27 were placed at several different positions in the boat in order to determine the best arrangement, but no final line-up has been announced, and the trials will probably continue for a few days.