Cavanagh named to New England All-Star team

By Jon PAUL Morosi, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard junior center Tom Cavanagh was one of six forwards named to the 12-member New England Hockey Writers Association All-Star Team, announced yesterday.

Cavanagh led the Crimson with 16 goals and 36 points this season, both career highs. He had four multi-goal games, including a hat trick at Colgate, and a Herculean, two-goal effort in the ECAC finals against Clarkson while battling the stomach flu. He was the team’s top faceoff man (453-304) and his plus-9 rating was third-highest among forwards.

Cavanagh has appeared in every Harvard game since he arrived on campus (104). He and classmate Ryan Lannon became the first juniors to play 100 games in school history.

The association also named Brown senior goaltender Yann Danis as its most valuable player. Danis, who has signed a professional contract with the Montreal Canadiens, is one of three remaining finalists for the Hobey Baker Award, along with forwards Junior Lessard (Minnesota-Duluth) and Zach Parise (North Dakota). The Hobey will be awarded at Faneuil Hall on Friday afternoon, the off-day of the Frozen Four.

Yale forward Joe Zappala, who led the nation with nine game-winning goals, was the association’s most-improved player. Vermont forward Brady Leisenring and Dartmouth defenseman Grant Lewis joined Cavanagh and Danis on the All-Star team.

Men's Ice Hockey