Brown Rallies, Penn Maintains Lead

Associated press

Dartmouth picked up its first Ivy win with a 17-6 victory over the Lions in Hanover, N.H, on Saturday.

ITHACA, N.Y.—Joe DiGiacomo threw for 224 yards and two touchdowns to lead Brown to a 38-24 win over Cornell Saturday.

DiGiacomo’s 85-yard touchdown pass to Jarret Schreck in the fourth quarter tied the game at 24. Nick Hartigan had two rushing touchdowns to give the Bears (5-1, 2-1 Ivy) the win. DiGiacomo completed nine of 16 passes, and Hartigan finished with 119 yards on the ground.

The Big Red (3-3, 1-2) opened the scoring in the first quarter with a touchdown run by Ryan Kuhn, but DiGiacomo responded with a 24-yard TD pass to Schreck.

The teams traded field goals in the second quarter, with A.J. Weitsman booting a 37-yarder for Cornell and Steve Morgan kicking a 25-yarder for Brown.

Kuhn, who finished with 143 rushing yards and 147 passing yards, ran for another touchdown in the third quarter. But Brown’s Brandon Markey returned a kickoff 92 yards for touchdown to make it 17-17.

Luke Siwula’s scoring run put Cornell up briefly in the fourth quarter. Siwula led the Big Red with 162 rushing yards.

PENN 38, YALE 21

PHILADELPHIA—Reserve quarterback Bryan Walker passed for two touchdowns and Sam Mathews ran for three as Penn remained the only undefeated team in the Ivy League with a 38-21 victory over Yale on Saturday.

Walker replaced Pat McDermott, who suffered a shoulder injury in the first quarter, and was 10-of-20 passing for 143 yards in helping Penn to a 38-0 lead after three periods.

The Quakers (5-1, 3-0 Ivy), the leader in rushing defense in Division I-AA, held Yale (2-4, 2-1) to just 50 yards on the ground and did not allow the Bulldogs to cross midfield until the fourth quarter.

Yale quarterback Jeff Mroz was 16-of-26 passing, including three fourth-quarter touchdowns, the last a 57-yard strike to Ashley Wright with 2:35 left to play.

Penn scored twice within 1:22 in the first quarter on a one-yard run by Mathews and a 48-yard pass from Walker to Joe Sandberg.

A six-yard run by Mathews and Walker’s 29-yard toss to Matt Carre gave the Quakers a 28-0 halftime lead. A five-yard run by Mathews with 4:14 left in the third period capped the Quakers’ scoring.


HANOVER, N.H.—Jason Bash scored on an 11-yard run with 1:37 gone in the first period Saturday and Dartmouth held on for a 17-6 win over Columbia.

Dartmouth (2-4, 1-2 Ivy) took the opening kickoff and drove 58 yards in five plays over the next 90 seconds before Bash broke over the right side and toward the sideline as he veered into the end zone.

Columbia (2-4, 0-3) got two 39-yard field goals from Jon Rocholl in the final 4:07 of the second period to make it 7-6 at halftime.

After Erik Hinterbichler kicked a 25-yard field goal midway through the third period to boost Dartmouth’s lead to 10-6, the two teams sputtered anew.

The visiting Lions appeared to be building steam with five minutes left in the game, but Dartmouth’s Josh Dooley tackled Jordan Davis for a two-yard loss at midfield on fourth down to force a turnover.

Dartmouth was forced to punt and despite a pass interference penalty, stopped Columbia and took over at the Lions’ 18.

Three plays later, Ikechi Ogbonna dashed around left end for a 12-yard touchdown run with 47 seconds left.

Columbia’s Tad Crawford led all defenders with 11 tackles while Dartmouth’s Anthony Gargiulo had three sacks. Dooley and Joe Gibalski had eight tackles apiece for Dartmouth.