Students Rally in Support of Troops

By Tiffanie K Hsu, Contributing Writer

Representatives from two prominent campus political groups came together in front of the Science Center yesterday to rally support for U.S. troops in Iraq—political opinions on the war notwithstanding—in honor of Support Our Troops Week.

Members from the Harvard Republican Club (HRC) and the Harvard College Democrats convened at noon to display posters, distribute pins, and promote student support for the troops in Iraq.

“A lot of the time the rhetoric gets pretty heated when people say that they’re against the war but they support the troops,” said Gregory M. Schmidt ’06, president of the Harvard Dems. “I think that it creates the unfortunate perception that the two are in opposition when they aren’t.”

The event opened with a few words by Andrea M. Nosal ’08, a Dems member and organizer of the event. Nosal said that in honor of Support Our Troops week, the Dems and HRC have decided to support troops in Iraq for the rest of the year.

“We’ve adopted a platoon of soldiers in Iraq and, in the next few months, we’re hoping to collect magazines, CD’s, DVD’s—anything that would bring a smile to their faces over the holidays,” she said.

Following Nosal’s explanation, Thomas M. McSorley, Jr. ’06, a legislative representative from the Harvard Dems, and HRC President Matthew P. Downer ’07 said students should support the efforts of the soldiers fighting in Iraq, regardless of their political leanings.

“This week is about coming together—not as Democrats or Republicans, or liberals or conservatives, but as Americans—to honor our soldiers, and to thank them for answering our call to service,” McSorley said over the microphone.

About 20 students attended the event and, in spite of the poor weather conditions, the organizers maintained a high level of enthusiasm.

“I’m glad that the two groups came together not necessarily to send a political message about the president or the war, but just to support kids our age who are out there, risking their lives for our country,” said Jacquelyn Chou ’07, a student attending the event.

Both Nosal and Downer are familiar with the military life. Nosal grew up in Pensacola, Fl., which has one of the largest naval air bases in the country, as well as being home to branches of the marines, navy, and airforce.

Downer’s father fought in Vietnam and, upon his return to the U.S., had to deal with the scorn of his fellow countrymen, Downer said.

“It’s easy to say that you’re against the war or that you’re against what’s going on over in Iraq, but it’s a lot different when you actually know the people fighting,” said Nosal. “I feel it’s important to spread awareness of their sacrifices, their bravery, and their dedication to help Harvard students know what is going on in Iraq.”

Nosal has organized another event for tomorrow during which students will march around the Yard in honor of the nation’s veterans. From the Yard, they will proceed to Boston Commons, where they will join a larger procession observing the holiday.

“Today is not about supporting the Bush administration or denouncing it, advocating the war in Iraq or opposing it,” said Downer in the final speech of the rally. “Today the parties are united in our gratitude for our troops, both past and present.”