Profs Spar On J-Term, Science Curriculum

By William C. Marra and Anton S. Troianovski, Crimson Staff Writers

Professors began the spring semester by debating curricular review proposals to overhaul the nature of introductory science courses, to institute a January Term, and to encourage more students to study abroad at a forum yesterday.

About fifty professors attended the discussion, the third of four scheduled opportunities for faculty to weigh in on the curricular review.

Senior Lecturer on Molecular and Cellular Biology Robert A. Lue, a member of the review’s Committee on Science and Technology Education, presented a 24-page report calling for the creation of introductory life sciences and physical sciences courses that would provide the necessary foundation for concentrators while also serving as a useful base of knowledge for students who do not intend to take more courses in the sciences.

Lue said the problem with science education at Harvard is that students often spend their first two years learning facts and acquiring the “toolbox” of skills they will need to go further in their discipline, and may not get to the “connections that make [science] interesting” until their junior year.

He said the proposed introductory courses would still give concentrators the necessary “toolbox” but would also explore the connections between disciplines.

But other professors disagreed yesterday, arguing that one set of introductory courses could not accommodate the needs of both concentrators and non-concentrators, since the two groups must have different approaches to the study of science.

Faculty members also offered differing opinions on a potential J-Term, as well as its ideal length and nature. Some questioned whether it would be the best use of faculty and students’ time and raised logistical problems of faculty availability and compensation.

Professor of Romance Languages and Literatures Tom Conley stressed that his January Term Committee was not advocating a J-Term but only presenting options for what it might look like.

He said the term would likely be a three and a half week period offering courses at different levels of ability, including courses overseas, medical and scientific internships, and courses that would serve as extensions to full-semester courses.

But in a prepared statement, Professor of Physics John M. Doyle said that his department voted 27-0, with one abstention, against a J-Term. He said the department was “puzzled by the educational objectives of a January Term.”

He added that the term would likely shorten the summer break, which the department considers a more valuable time for in-depth research.

English Department Chair James Engell said that a J-Term holds promise, but that the Faculty should be wary of shortening the length of reading period.

Most professors who spoke agreed that Harvard should encourage more undergraduate study abroad and discussed ways the University could make such study more appealing and beneficial to students.

Gutman Professor of Latin American Affairs John H. Coatsworth, chair of the Standing Committee on Study Abroad, reported to the Faculty that his committee is looking to double the number of students studying abroad within the next few years.

He said these goals would be achieved by changing the culture at Harvard to make students more aware of opportunities and funding.

Wolfson Professor of Jewish Studies Jay M. Harris took issue with the College’s current policy prohibiting students from studying in countries where State Department Travel Warnings are in effect.

“I think we’re not serious about international studies if we’re going to let lawyers decide for us where students can go and where students can snot go,” he said.

The Faculty Council—the 18-member governing body of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS)—also met last week to discuss Dean of the Faculty William C. Kirby’s annual report. Kirby told the council that the Faculty’s budget would grow this year, according to Professor of the History of Science Everett I. Mendelsohn.

Mendelsohn said the Council also discussed the recent controversy over University President Lawrence H. Summers’s remarks last month regarding women in science.

A consensus emerged that “the president had made unnecessary trouble for himself by less-than-fully thought out comments,” Mendelsohn said.

—Staff writer William C. Marra can be reached at wmarra@fas.harvard.edu. —Staff writer Anton S. Troianovski can be reached at atroian@fas.harvard.edu.