Track and Field teams host USAT&F New England Association Championships, ready for Heptagonals

By Gabriel M. Velez, Crimson Staff Writer

This weekend was the calm before the storm for the Harvard track and field teams.

While looking ahead to the Heptagonal Championships that it will also host next weekend at Gordon Track and Field Center, the Crimson competed in the USAT&F New England Association Championships on its home track Sunday.

Since the meet was not scored and included a number of high school, masters, and other competitors, Harvard used the weekend to rest a little bit and get ready for one last push in the indoor season.

“It’s pretty much one of those ‘What do you feel your body needs?’ meets,” junior Laura Maludzinski said. “I was just there to make sure that the concession stand was under control and that we made a bit of cash.”

Along with the bit of cash, the Crimson still won and placed in a number of events that included competitors from Ivy League foe Brown.

In the sprints, freshman Jon Wofsy came in third overall in the open 400-meter race by finishing in 49.45.

The Crimson men also put up a good showing in the relay sprint, taking second in the 4-by-400 to the Greater Boston Track Club.

For the women, freshman Dimmu Kalu came in second in the 200-meter dash—but first among collegiate runners—with a time of 25.55. Junior Stevie DeGroff was right behind her in second amongst college runners, and in fourth overall, with a time of 25.84.

In the 3,000-meter run, freshman Brian Holmquist crossed the line in 8:55.58 and was the top college finisher for Harvard.

Freshman Lindsay Scherf made it a sweep for the Crimson in the 3,000 meters by registering the best time of any collegiate runner with 9:46.33. Overall, however, she came in second to Orla Mahoney of Boston Athletic Club.

In the throwing events, the Crimson men kept up the pace they have started early in the season by taking the top college spots in both the shot put and the weight throw on Sunday. In the former, co-captain Kristoffer Hinson’s throw of 15.75 meters placed him second overall, with sophomore Christopher Ware’s throw of 15.20 meters putting him in fourth. In the weight throw, sophomore Christian Ayers threw a personal best 16.04 meters to take the event. His previous best was 14.68 meters.

For the women, the top field event finisher was freshman Claire Battler, who won the pole vault by clearing 3.41 meters.

Both teams will compete next weekend in the Heptagonal Championships, to be held all day next Saturday and Sunday.

—GABRIEL M. VELEZ

Track and Cross Country