SPORTS BRIEF: M. Hockey's Welch, Grumet-Morris continue to garner accolades with spots on the 2005 All-American Team

By Karan Lodha, Crimson Staff Writer

Even after their college careers have ended, seniors Noah Welch and Dov Grumet-Morris continue to earn praise. Both seniors were named to the 2005 All-American team on Thursday, as released by the American Hockey Coaches Association.

Grumet-Morris, who recorded the best season for a goaltender in Harvard hockey history, adds his Second Team All-American pick to a shelf that already includes the Walter Brown Award, an All-New England MVP distinction, and a Second Team All-ECAC nod.

The Hobey Baker finalist posted a.947 save percentage and was second in the country with a 1.63 GAA, in large part thanks to six shutouts. The six whitewashes broke the Crimson single-season mark and also helped Grumet-Morris surpass the career shutout tally with 11 blankings over four years, just two of the 13 records with which Grumet-Morris will graduate.

Welch was a significant factor in Grumet-Morris’s success, anchoring a Harvard defense that registered a 1.88 GAA—enough for second-best nationwide. He is only the seventh Crimson player to earn All-American honors twice in his career, adding his 2005 First Team selection to his 2003 Second Team pick.

The honor complements his All-New England team and First Team All-ECAC selections.

—KARAN LODHA

Men's Ice Hockey