First Female IOP Director Chosen

Former governor Jeanne Shaheen aims to expand Institute programs

By Nicholas A. Molina, Crimson Staff Writer

Former New Hampshire Governor Jeanne Shaheen will be the new permanent director of Harvard’s Institute of Politics (IOP), the IOP announced yesterday, making her the first female to hold the position.

Shaheen, who was an IOP fellow in 2003, will begin her new role on July 1, succeeding Philip R. Sharp, who has served as interim director since the departure of former director Dan Glickman last September.

Shaheen said yesterday she hopes to expand the IOP’s programs to reach a wider range of students across campus, and stressed that she would start by seeking input from students.

“My first week will be really on the ground learning here, about Harvard and about building on what’s already in place,” Shaheen said.

IOP Student Advisory Board Vice President Elise M. Stefanik ’06 said she believes Shaheen can help with long-term planning and attracting more females to the IOP, two of the top goals that student leaders have identified.

“I think it’s very helpful to attract new women to leadership positions if you have a female director,” she said.

Student Advisory Board President David M. Kaden ’06 praised Shaheen’s willingness to interact with students.

“I knew her when she was a fellow, and I got to know her through that process,” said Kaden, who is also a Crimson editor. “What impressed me when I spoke to Governor Shaheen is her commitment to students.”

Sharp also emphasized the positive reception Shaheen had received as a fellow.

“I think she’s going to do a terrific job,” he said. “She brings an extraordinary background in elective politics, and when she was a fellow at the Institute she was very popular with the students, so she’s demonstrated that she can work effectively with students.”

Shaheen was first elected to the New Hampshire state Senate in 1990. In 1996, she became New Hampshire’s first female governor, serving three terms before stepping down to run an unsuccessful campaign for Senate in 2002.

Last year, Shaheen served as the national chairwoman of Sen. John F. Kerry’s presidential campaign.

She said yesterday she believes she can focus on the non-partisan nature of the IOP.

“The campaign is over at this point. This is a very different job,” she said.

The search for a new permanent IOP director began after Glickman left last fall to become chair of the Motion Picture Association of America.

According to Sharp, Kennedy School of Government (KSG) Dean David T. Ellwood ’75 set up a search committee including members of the KSG and the IOP’s Senior Advisory Committee.

“There were a host of candidates, and it was narrowed down to three of four candidates several weeks ago and the dean made his decision this week,” Sharp said.

Sharp, who served as IOP director from 1995 to 1998 in addition to his current role, said he was not involved in the selection process.

In a press release, Ellwood called Shaheen a “trailblazer in the American political arena.”

“Her leadership, both on the state and national levels, combined with her intelligence and enthusiasm, will serve the IOP well,” Ellwood said.