Women’s tennis co-captain Bergman wraps up Harvard career at NCAA Singles Championship.

Sports Brief

By Caleb W. Peiffer, Crimson Staff Writer

On Monday, Harvard co-captain Courtney Bergman fell in the first round of the women’s tennis 2005 NCAA Singles Championship at the University of Georgia.

Bergman ended her Crimson career with a 6-2, 2-6, 7-5 loss to No. 22 Margarita Karnaukhova of Sacramento State.

The co-captain, who entered the competition ranked No. 50, fell behind 4-2 and then 5-4 in the decisive third set.

Down 40-0 and facing match point, she won five straight points to tie the score at five games apiece before dropping the next two.

“This was a tough one for Courtney, one that just barely got away from her,” Harvard coach Gordon Graham said, according to a press release from the Harvard Athletic Department. “She’s still had a remarkable career for the Crimson and has been a strong leader.”

Despite the loss, Bergman became the first player in Ivy League history to earn a bid to play for the singles championship all four years.

Freshman Celia Durkin and junior Melissa Anderson were selected as an at-large bid to play in the doubles tournament.

Durkin and Anderson, Harvard’s number one doubles team—they entered the championship ranked 33rd in the nation—lost in the first round to Whitney Benik and Lolita Frangulyan of Florida on Tuesday afternoon, 6-1, 6-1.

Stanford, which knocked the Crimson out of the team tournament last week, captured the NCAA championship with a 4-0 win over the University of Texas on Sunday.

—CALEB W. PEIFFER

Women's Tennis