Adams House Film Festival Preview

By Tony D. Qian, Contributing Writer

ADAMS HOUSE FILM FESTIVAL PREVIEW

Location: Adams House Pool Theater

DATE: May 8, 3 p.m.

Tickets: $5 at the Harvard Box Office

The Adams House Film Festival will showcase myriad film styles directed by Harvard students this Sunday at the Adams Pool Theater. The short films on exhibit range from short documentaries to fictional shorts to experimental works to animations.

“We’re encouraging a lot of styles of work,” says coordinator Richard E. Ruiz ’07, who has also entered a film of his own. “If you’re working on anything you’re proud of, we look forward to showing all or parts of it.”

Ruiz will present his documentary portrait, “Boquita,” which shows a day in the life of a transgender performer and social worker from the Dominican Republic living in Jamaica Plain, Mass. Student filmmakers of all years will be represented, from freshman Samuel T. Ray ’08 to seniors John F. Errington ’05 and Philip M. Hodges ’05, to several Harvard alumni. Though most are residents (or residents-to-be) of Adams House, there are a few non-Adams filmmakers who will be showcasing their work, including one from Lowell House and another from Leverett.

Eda Pepi ’06 of Leverett House, the executive producer of “Ivory Tower”—a Harvard-produced soap opera—has chosen to show episode six of the soap series, titled “Sex, Lies, and Privilege.”

“It’s about a naïve freshman who goes out with a TF on campus, who’s teaching Moral Reasoning and who’s also dating a senior,” says Pepi. “Essentially, he gets found out and is sent to Yale.” (See related article, page 23.)

Director Alexa J. Bush ’07 of Adams House, who is a Crimson editor, will be showing “Carbon Ohio,” which deals with “family, identity, and decay.”

“It doesn’t have a plot per se,” says Bush. “It’s a mixture of old video footages and footages that I shot. It’s not the run-of-the-mill sort of thing you see on television. It’ll be interesting to see it on display with other more traditional [films].”

All proceeds from the festival will go towards the purchase of film equipment for Adams House.