JetBlue: Flying to a Campus Near You

By Tiffanie K. Hsu, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

From organizing raffles to sponsoring Stein Clubs, JetBlue Airways’ two new student ambassadors at Harvard plan to help the airline tap into the college student market and raise its profile on campus.

Under the CrewBlue program, the airline has recruited two students from each of the major schools in the Boston area to host events on their campuses in partnership with local student groups or establishments.

The ambassadors are compensated in free tickets, travel deals, and performance-based incentives, according to Daniel A. Friedman ’06, one of Harvard’s representatives.

Friedman and Ming E. Vandenberg ’08, the other ambassador, began the campaign earlier this month when JetBlue donated an all-destination round-trip ticket to an Adams House auction to benefit Hurricane Katrina victims.

“Now we’re interested in sponsoring Stein Clubs and their events,” Friedman said. “If we can find enough students that are interested in the airline, hopefully, at the end of the year, we’ll be able to raffle off a few free tickets.”

He said the ambassadors also hope to become involved in sponsoring House formals and the Harvard-Yale game.

“Being a student ambassador has been a fun way for me to get career experience and to help to build Harvard community in my last year here,” said Friedman, who learned about the position through the Office of Career Services.

CrewBlue was launched on Sept. 17 at CollegeFest, a marketing event in Boston geared toward students. During this event, the student ambassadors received hands-on experience promoting the JetBlue brand to their peers by offering raffles, giveaways, and JetBlue’s signature snack, Terra Blue potato chips.

“JetBlue has valued its college customers since its inception,” Brandon Hamm, JetBlue’s manager of corporate communications, wrote in an e-mail. “Over the years [JetBlue] has participated and sponsored college events, athletic programs, and college philanthropic events.”

Another feature of CollegeFest was BlueBetty, an Airstream RV which was unveiled earlier this summer. Fondly known as Betty, this mobile marketing vehicle simulates the JetBlue flying experience, complete with JetBlue aircraft seats and a chance to sample JetBlue’s in-flight entertainment system.

“We know she’ll be turning heads of passersby with her 34-foot body, emblazoned with JetBlue logos,” wrote Hamm of JetBlue’s newest “fleet-type.”

Blue Betty will be making the rounds, visiting various colleges in the Boston area and stopping at CambridgeSide Galleria today.