Pro-Choice Movement at Harvard Alive and Well

By Melissa S Ader, Cara L Lewis, Vanessa V Pratt, and Amanda L. Shapiro

To the editors:

We applaud Paul R. Katz for identifying the urgent need for strong pro-choice action at Harvard and beyond (“Have Pro-Choicers Aborted Ship? op-ed, Jan. 4). At this very moment, reproductive rights are in grave danger. This threat is illustrated by the nomination of anti-choice Samuel Alito to our nation’s highest court and the refusal of pharmacies to stock or dispense emergency contraception, an Food and Drug Administratoin-approved medication that prevents unintended pregnancies and, thus, subsequent abortions.

It is at this critical moment that Harvard needs a strong pro-choice lobby. Unfortunately, due to a turnover in leadership, Students for Choice (SFC) has had a rough start in the ’05-’06 year. However, SFC will be making a strong comeback at the start of the spring semester. By February, we will re-formalize the organization’s structure and goals. We’ll kickoff the semester with a night of art and activism that will bring together Harvard’s pro-choice community. From there, SFC will work to educate the Harvard community on issues of reproductive rights, and will work on local, statewide, and national pro-choice campaigns.

We are extremely excited for the coming semester, and hope that our pro-choice allies will join us in our campaign to protect and expand reproductive rights.

MELISSA S. ADER ’09

CARA L. LEWIS ’06

VANESSA V. PRATT ’08

AMANDA L. SHAPIRO ’ 08

January 8, 2006

The writers are officers of Students for Choice.