Popular Shuttle Driver Missed

Student and drivers say singing Quad-to-Mem. Hall driver fired after absence

By Brenda C. Maldonado, Contributing Writer

One of Harvard’s most popular shuttle drivers has been absent from work for days, and two shuttle drivers and a student have been told that he has been fired from his post.

Harvard University Transportation Services (UTS) would not confirm nor deny that Jesse Armstrong, a driver known for belting out tunes on his Quad-to-Memorial Hall route, was dismissed.

“We deeply appreciate the concern of riders,” said David E. Harris Jr., general manager for UTS. “Personnel matters are confidential and would be inappropriate to discuss.”

Armstrong could not be reached for comment at his home last night despite repeated attempts.

A shuttle driver who asked to remain anonymous because of job concerns said that Armstrong stopped coming to work on Sept. 27—the third unexplained absence this year of which the driver was aware.

“This time was kind of the last straw,” the driver said yesterday. “...The office paged him, called him, and went by his home, tried to find him. No car, no Jesse.”

Shuttle driver Marc Cronin said he heard “through the grapevine” that Armstrong was fired in a meeting with Harris and Mary Maloley, director of administration and finance for University Operations Services.

Harris did not respond to follow-up telephone messages or an e-mail from The Crimson.

Cabot House resident Hayley J. Fink ’08 said that when she called the UTS customer service line on Tuesday, the person who answered the phone said that Armstrong had been fired. Fink said that a second call yesterday yielded the same response.

A dispatcher who answered UTS’ customer service line last night declined to confirm that Armstrong was fired.

The driver who requested anonymity said that the drivers’ work schedules have since been shuffled to make up for Armstrong’s absence.

“We are working so much overtime,” the driver said. “It’s one less driver. We’ve all been filling in.”

The Cabot House e-mail list brimmed with speculation about Armstrong’s possible dismissal yesterday.

John F. “Jack” Pararas ’08 added to the online thread yesterday at 1:58 a.m.

“I hereby declare Friday NO SHUTTLE DAY,” he wrote. “Do not ride the shuttle on Friday if you care about everyone’s favorite shuttle driver being reinstated as he should be. I will be walking to class at 10:45 if anyone wants to join me.”

Armstrong’s absence follows the April 29 firing of driver Jack M. Garvey, who had been involved in an altercation with two varsity football players. Garvey later filed an anti-discrimination suit in state court against the University.

Armstrong began driving buses for a local company in 1997 and started driving Harvard’s shuttles part-time in 2002, according to a profile in the March 2006 issue of The Harvard Community Resource, a monthly publication that the University’s Office of Human Resources distributes to faculty, staff, and employees.

Armstrong started driving full-time for Harvard in 2003.

“Armstrong has been sharing his music and his optimistic view of the world with his riders,” the article stated, “and has been finding a lot of love in return.”

Quad residents expressed frustration at the lack of information provided to students concerning Armstrong’s absence.

“I think everybody wants more information, though we may not necessarily be entitled to it,” said Cabot House resident Laura A. Mulvey ’08. “It’s very rare that you meet someone that friendly and genuine.”