SPORTS BRIEF: All-American Berg chosen as Ivy defenseman of week

By Malcom A. Glenn, Crimson Staff Writer

Senior preseason All-American Mike Berg was named the Ivy League’s defensive player of the week after his performance opposite the ball against Dartmouth on Saturday.

The defensive tackle led a Harvard defensive performance that notched its first shutout in two years, a 28-0 win over the Big Green. Berg led the team with seven tackles, three for a loss, as well as two forced fumbles, a fumble recovery, and a sack.

He filled up three categories on a single play Saturday, when he charged through the line to sack Dartmouth quarterback Mike Fritz before he could hand the ball off. The sack also caused a fumble, which Berg recovered to give Harvard one of its six turnovers on the day.

Berg enters next week’s home matchup with Columbia as the Crimson’s sixth-leading tackler, having made 28 stops this season. Harvard is currently ranked first in I-AA in run defense, tackles for loss, and sacks.

Berg’s honor marks the second player of the week award for Harvard this season. Senior tailback Clifton Dawson was named offensive player of the week after running for 170 yards and three scores in the Crimson’s 31-14 victory over Holy Cross in Week 1.

Berg shares the award with Penn safety Scott Williams, who had a fumble recovery for a touchdown and two interceptions in the Quakers’ 30-27 overtime win against Brown.

—MALCOM A. GLENN

Football