The Harvard Crimson’s Editorial Page: How We Work

By The crimson editoral board

As the new school year begins, we want to take a moment to explain how the editorial page and the opinions on it are produced each day. The process of deciding what to write and who gets to write has sometimes been a mystery in the view of our readers. We believe that the process merits some explanation so that you have a better understanding of why we print what we do and how your own opinion can be heard on our page.

Since The Crimson’s editorial board was founded in 1911, the paper’s content has been divided into two worlds: news and editorial. We take great pains to make sure that our editorial content and our news coverage are completely independent of each other; we call this separation the “news-editorial wall.”

Broadly, opinion pieces fall into two categories: unsigned “staff editorials” that appear on the left-hand side of the editorial page each day, and signed op-eds, comments, columns, letters, and artwork that appear elsewhere. As an editorial board, we have two primary tasks: first, we comprise the bulk of the Crimson editors who debate the content of staff editorials; second, we solicit and edit signed content.

Staff Editorials

Staff editorials appear under the banner of “The Crimson Staff,” because all members of the Crimson staff are welcome to share their views when we decide what the content of staff editorials should be.

Three times a week, the editorial board co-chairs hold meetings open to all members of the Crimson, where, as a group, we decide which topics to write about and what opinions we will publish on those topics. The editorial chairs, as well as The Crimson’s president, have the final say on all published staff opinion. Keep in mind, however, that no Crimson editor who has written a news story on an issue may discuss, vote on, or write staff editorials on that subject—and vice versa.

From time to time, the editorial page will publish a dissenting opinion to a staff editorial, especially when the feelings among those at editorial board meetings are closely divided. These “dissents” are short pieces signed by a few Crimson editors that offer a viewpoint substantially different from that expressed in the corresponding staff editorial. They are only published in response to staff editorials when the dissent offered is sufficiently original and thought-provoking.

It is the editorial board’s goal that staff editorials tend to consistently reflect a particular point of view. On occasion, however, the “Staff” may decide to reverse its position on a particular issue, usually because new evidence or a new argument has arisen. Decisions to reverse a standing position, however, are not arrived at lightly.

Signed Content

In addition to our unsigned staff editorials, we publish several types of signed opinion pieces, including comments, columns, op-eds, and various types of art, including editorial cartoons. Often times these pieces are written by Crimson editors, though often other members of the Harvard community, or other authors, write as well.

Sometimes, the editorial board actively solicits particular pieces for the page; other times, we publish pieces that are submitted to us unsolicited. In either case, signed pieces do not necessarily reflect the views of the editorial board. In fact, we tend to give our writers, especially our columnists and editorial cartoonists, a substantial amount of free reign in choosing their topics; we value clarity and originality of an argument over the particular content of the argument itself.

Op-eds are meant to argue, expose, or discuss a particular opinion in some depth. Op-eds may not explicitly respond to pieces that have already appeared in The Crimson, but often they tackle the same subjects that recent op-eds have dealt with. In considering which op-eds to publish, in addition to originality, we also look for a strong argument, timeliness, clarity of writing, and cleverness.

We particularly encourage op-ed submissions from individual writers who may have a particular connection to the topic they are writing about, and we require that all op-eds be signed by those individuals (up to three); we will not accept for publication articles that have been authored by an organization as a whole or pieces written under pseudonym. Op-eds are meant to examine a particular argument, not make a pitch for a particular upcoming event, and we reserve the right to edit out such references. Finally, we also consider op-art submissions, including annotated charts, a series of drawings or photographs, or other graphics.

If your op-ed is chosen for publication, an editor will contact you to start the editing process. Though you will always have final say over the content of your op-ed, we reserve the right to write headlines and choose illustrations to accompany your op-ed (normally, our writers do not write their own headlines either). Lastly, no article is ever guaranteed publication—even the articles that we solicit.

Op-eds and op-art may be submitted via e-mail (letters@thecrimson.com), fax (617-576-7860, Attn: Editorial Board), or mail (Crimson Editorial Board, c/o The Harvard Crimson, 14 Plympton St. Cambridge, MA 02138).

The Crimson has several bi-weekly editorial columnists, who are selected from both within and outside the Crimson. In choosing columnists each semester, the editorial board attempts to select a broad range of themes and opinions.

The Crimson also has several editorial cartoonists, who are given space for a weekly cartoon. Like columnists, cartoonists are generally given a lot of leeway in the scope of their topics. We also publish the cartoons of guest cartoonists on occasion.

Comments, found in the lower-left-hand corner of the editorial page, are reserved for the opinions of current Crimson editors. They are meant to be short, focused arguments, and sometimes take more creative forms than more traditional op-eds.

Letters to the Editor

The editorial board highly values feedback and counterarguments to all our published opinions. Accordingly, we take very seriously our commitment to publish a diverse and interesting selection of the letters to the editor that we receive on a daily basis.

Due to space limitations, however, we are only able to print a limited number of the letters that we receive—usually between three and 10 letters each week. Therefore, we cannot possibly cover all opinions or even every newsworthy topic.

Those letters that we do publish respond in an original way to articles (in any section) previously published in The Crimson. They are usually 150 to 300 words and are signed by the author or authors (up to three), and not an organization nor under a pseudonym. Letters that are brief, timely, and perhaps witty or humorous, are more likely to be published. Good letters engage the subject without preamble, make their point quickly, and generally limit their scope to a single argument. If you’re interested in writing a more extended argument, consider submitting an op-ed.

We strive for balance in the letters section. Though The Crimson Staff may have a particular view on a subject, the letters section itself does not. Accordingly, we eagerly print letters of all stripes. Though we often will print letters from professors or other authorities in a particular field, we are especially interested in the views of students and other readers.

Letters to the editor may be submitted via the same channels as op-eds (see above).

Factual Reporting

Every article that we publish, including submissions from non-Crimson editors, is fact-checked for quotations, names, dates, and other assertions of fact. Though the accuracy of a piece is its writer’s responsibility, an editor will fact check every point. Should an editorial piece make a factual error or misrepresent the view of an individual or organization, please do not hesitate to contact us at corrections@thecrimson.com.

A Final Note

In the end, we want our editorial page to be a forum for our entire readership. We urge you to write to us with your ideas—opinions of your own that you would like to see in print, or thoughts about how we might improve the page and its content. You can send any feedback, whether you’d like it to be published or not, to letters@thecrimson.com.

We print about 4,000 words each day, and we’d be happy to hear a few of yours.