‘Gentle Giant’ Leads Team

Tri-captain Bode Ogunwole dreams of someday being a healer, but that doesn’t stop him from punishing opponents on the mat.
By Robert T. Hamlin, Contributing Writer

As the No. 23 Harvard men’s wrestling team’s reigning heavyweight, tri-captain Ogunwole Ogunwole has an intimidating figure and a ferocious presence on the mat. However, his teammates apparently possess no fear of this gentle giant, often making him the target of team humor during practice.

Ever since Ogunwole’s No. 6 finish at the NCAA championships last seasons, his opponents have continued to wonder where this current All-American hides that funny side in his strapping 285-lb. frame during a match.

Ogunwole’s display of strength, versatility, and technique earned him first place in the 285-lb. weightclass at the 25th Annual Cliff Keen Las Vegas on Saturday, a victory that was even more satisfying given that Ogunwole lost to the same opponent last year in the tournament.

But even as he sought revenge, Ogunwole did not let last year’s frustrations cloud his sportsmanship.

“The fact that I had lost to him before was a big motivating factor,” Ogunwole said. “At the same time, I still had to stay focused and respect that he is a really great wrestler. A combination of that will and determination really helped me through the match.”

Thanks to Ogunwole and stellar contributions from freshmen and upperclassmen alike, the Crimson’s competitive ability leaves its players seriously contemplating whether this year’s team might be one of the best in recent memory.

“It shows the whole team that we’re ready from the get-go to accomplish all of those things that we have said we could in the past,” tri-captain Max Meltzer said. “We’re at a higher level early in the season, and it just helps our overall confidence.”

Given his quiet demeanor, Ogunwole’s coach and teammates agreed that he leads by example as a competitor, as a mentor, and as a teammate.

“He’s just really thoughtful and conscious of what’s going on in other people’s lives,” Meltzer said. “He’s like a big gentle giant. The only place he’s really violent is on the wrestling mat.”

Still, Ogunwole does not let his quiet side interfere with helping teammates improve or encouraging them during practice or workouts.

“I try to lead by example a lot, but I try to be encouraging and supportive to other guys,” Ogunwole said. “If I can show somebody something he’s doing wrong or could do a better way, I try to speak up and let them know.”

Even to freshmen who are still acclimatizing to the expectations required of a college wrestler, Ogunwole makes every effort to help them connect with the team.

“With the young guys, the captains and I try to encourage them and make them feel welcome,” he said. “We’re a family and we try to help, because it’s a lot different in high school and its not easy when you’re first starting out.”

Although he came to the team as a proven winner, freshman J.P O’Connor has benefited from Ogunwole’s steady presence.

“To have someone of [Ogunwole’s] caliber in the room can completely change the dynamic,” said O’Connor, whose breakout performance on Saturday brought him to the finals of the 149-lb. weightclass. “He’s a great wrestler, he works hard, and he’s a great student first and foremost.”

As a concentrator in biochemical sciences and pre-med, Ogunwole approaches his studies with diligence and a fully-engaged intellect. As someone always mindful of the well-being of those around him, he aspires to a career in medicine.

“I’ve always been around medicine as a kid, because my dad was a doctor,” Ogunwole said. “When I was really young, I saw a Ben Carson documentary, and I saw brain surgery. It was really interesting to me.”

To achieve his dream, Ogunwole has exemplified the ancient Latin dictum, “A sound mind in a sound body.” Last year, as the team’s junior tri-captain, Ogunwole managed wrestling in addition to his five classes and MCAT examination.

Might his intimidating figure unsettle patients on the operating table? Meltzer, for one, responded positively to the idea of trusting his life to his roommate and co-captain.

“Absolutely,” he replied without hesitation.

Wrestling