Cultural Rhythms Spotlights Salma Hayek

Mexican actress gains Foundation recognition for humanitarian efforts

By Julie Y. Rhee, Contributing Writer

Salma Hayek, the Academy Award-nominated star of “Frida,” will be honored at this Saturday’s Cultural Rhythms show in Sanders Theatre, making her the latest Oscar-caliber celebrity to hit Harvard’s campus this month.

The show, which showcases the artistic and culinary offerings of a number of Harvard’s student cultural groups, is organized by the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations. The Foundation annually spotlights an “Artist of the Year” to recognize humanitarian efforts and achievements in the arts.

“I think [Hayek] has a lot to say to us about what we can do to improve intercultural relations at Harvard,” said Teddy L. Styles ’07, co-director of Cultural Rhythms. “I think she’ll be a great person to really generate enthusiasm about race relations on Harvard’s campus.”

Hayek was chosen in part for her humanitarian work in addressing problems of domestic violence in the United States and Mexico.

She currently acts as a spokesperson for the Avon Foundation’s “Speak Out Against Domestic Violence” campaign and testified before Congress last July in support of the federal Violence Against Women Act.

In her native Mexico, Hayek has worked to address the problem of women who vanish at the hands of murderers and rapists, said Diana C. Montoya-Fontalvo ’07, the president of Fuerza Latina.

“She’s using her high profile career and financial resources to bring to light a problem that has historically been ignored by high profile people,” Montoya-Fontalvo said.

Hayek was nominated for a Best Actress Academy Award in 2003 for her title role in “Frida,” which she also produced. Her other appearances include a breakthrough performance in “Desperado” and starring roles in “54” and “Fools Rush In.”

This Saturday’s shows, the 21st edition of Cultural Rhythms, will feature performances by the Kuumba Singers, the Harvard Intertribal Indian Dance Troupe, the Harvard Hellenic Society, and a number of other student organizations.

“The reason we put on the show is just to celebrate the diversity we have at Harvard in the form of this performance,” said Christina Dias, administrative coordinator of the Harvard Foundation.

“Many of these groups have these separate shows but rarely do they come together for one night, for one day.”

Past Cultural Rhythms honorees have included Jada Pinkett Smith, George Lopez, Will Smith, and Halle Berry.

“We’re actually not looking [for her] to provide anything for us,” Dias said. “We’re looking to provide something for her, both for her artistic and humanitarian work, and to simply present her with this award.”

Proceeds from the show will go to the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children.

“I feel like it’s an incredible exchange each year,” said Foundation intern Xi Wang ’06. “It’s a very salient reminder of how culturally diverse and culturally talented students at Harvard really are. ... I think you’ll see a very exciting show.”

Tickets for Cultural Rhythms are available at the Harvard Box Office in the Holyoke Center.