Harvard Splits Sunday Pair

Crimson beat Siena, lose to Marist on the road yesterday

By Ted Kirby, Crimson Staff Writer

In its final tune up before the start of league play, the Harvard women’s water polo team split its two games in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. on Sunday.

The Crimson beat Siena, 10-5, before falling to Marist in a tight game, 5-3.

Next weekend, Harvard begins its league play against Northern Division opponents Hartwick, Queens and Utica.

Crimson captain Arin Keyser said the weekend set the team up well for league play.

“You never like to lose, but it can be a good learning experience for the team,” said Keyser, who scored ten goals on Sunday for Harvard. “Now we have the opportunity to practice.”

MARIST 5, HARVARD 3

Marist (8-4) scored twice in the fourth quarter to send the Crimson home with a loss.

The game was close throughout, with the score tied at the end of each of the first three periods.

“We had a lot of adrenaline,” Keyser said. “We wanted to push them real hard.”

Harvard was hampered by a poor offensive performance. The team only shot 3-for-20 for the game.

“Our offense didn’t play well,” Crimson coach Erik Farrar said. “Ultimately, we just didn’t get it done.”

The game remained deadlocked in the final frame until the Red Foxes scored with 3:52 left to play. Marist scored two minutes later to ice the game.

Keyser scored all three goals for Harvard.

Senior goaltender Lydia Gardner made eight saves for the Crimson.

Marist plays its games in a short/deep pool, which allows one of the goalies to stand up.

The unusual set up caused some problems for Harvard.

HARVARD 10, SIENA 5

Despite losing to Marist in the second, the Crimson took the first game of the day by pulling away from the Saints (1-8) in the second half in Poughkeepsie.

Captain Arin Keyser had a season-high seven goals to lead Harvard.

“[Keyser] shot very well,” Farrar said. “We did a good job of setting her up. It was a good team effort.”

Sophomore Lauren Snyder added two goals for the Crimson on the day, who converted four of seven 6-on-5 opportunities.

“They ran a defense that allowed us to make a lot of 6-1 cross passes,” Keyser said.

“I was in good position on those,” she added.

Harvard took control in the second half after Siena battled hard to stay within one goal, 5-4, at halftime.

“Our defense wasn’t as tight as we wanted it to be, particularily in the first half,” Keyser said. “We really tightened up in the second half.”

Freshman Nicola Pearlman played in goal for the Crimson and made four saves.

—Staff writer Ted Kirby can be reached at tjkirby@fas.harvard.edu.

Women's Water Polo