UC Calls for New Board

Council votes to outsource event planning to separate body

By Brittney L. Moraski, Crimson Staff Writer

In a 37-0-1 vote, the Undergraduate Council (UC) endorsed a sweeping reorganization of its structure yesterday, moving to cede responsibility for campus-wide social events to a soon-to-be-created board.

The proposal, which is still awaiting review from College administrators, would mark the “most dramatic change in social programming in over 25 years,” according to Campus Life Fellow Justin H. Haan ’05.

The new social programming board would be responsible for planning five campus-wide social events each year­—a fall event similar to Harvard State Fair, a concert, the Harvard-Yale pep rally and tailgate, a spring event similar to this month upcoming’s Yardfest, and a House-based event such as a dodgeball tournament or House Olympics.

The board would exist independently of the UC and, if approved by Dean of the College Benedict H. Gross ’71, would be funded entirely by the College, according to Vice President Annie R. Riley ’07. If Gross agrees to fund this new board, the UC would have more money in its budget to fund parties and House Committees.

Riley, who sponsored the legislation, and Haan plan to bring the proposal to Gross at some point this week. If Gross, who Haan described as being “interested in receiving a student-initiated proposal that addresses some of the current deficiencies in campus life programming,” accepts the proposal, then the board will likely be formed by the end of this semester.

The board will consist of one student elected from each of the 12 Houses and six students chosen by an application process open to the entire student body, including Dudley House residents. Once the board has been created, the outgoing board and newly-elected House representatives will choose the six members from the applicant pool.

UC members, like other students, can apply for membership on the board.

In addition to these members, a representative of the First Year Social Committee (FYSC) and the chair of Harvard Concert Commission (HCC) would become automatic members of the new programming board.

The board will have an executive board consisting of a chair, vice chair, secretary, treasurer, and publicity chair.

In addition, a popular election among the membership of the board will elect event coordinators who will be individually responsible for one of the five yearly campus events.

The legislation passed with co-sponsorship by over 30 individuals, including nine HoCo chairs, current Campus Life Committee Chair Sopen B. Shah ’08, and former UC presidential candidate John F. Voith ’07.

Earlier in the semester, Riley organized several meetings with groups with experience planning campus-wide social events­—the HCC, Harvard Pub Night Commission, Crimson Key Society, Prefect Program, FYSC, Senior Class Committee, H-Club, and several cultural groups­—in order to “gain insight from successful social programmers on campus...how best to structure a programming board.”

Riley also asked council members to meet with their constituents in their House dining hall in order to gain additional student perspectives.

According to the legislation, a “working relationship” will exist between the programming board and the UC “whenever necessary.”

The legislation also anticipates that the Office of Student Activities and the Campus Life Fellow will provide logistical support to the new board.

“I think the Campus Life Fellow will take on the responsibility of being a support figure and advisor for this student programming board,” Haan said. “The Office of Student Activities will assist this student-driven programming board in bringing their ideas to fruition.”

—Staff writer Brittney L. Moraski can be reached at bmoraski@fas.harvard.edu.