Getting Around

One step at a time

By Brendan D.B. Hodge

At this time of year, it seems to be tradition at Harvard College to put into perspective for freshmen the ins and outs of living in the Quad. Solacing words are often heard from all-knowing upperclassmen about the peaceful isolation the Quad Houses enjoy, the benefits of extended dining hall hours, and, most notably, the efficiency of the shuttle system. Little, however, is said about another method of transportation that is quite foreign to many Harvard students: walking.

Pronounced “ooh-al-king” or “vhal-keeng,” depending on where you are from, this ancient and somewhat rustic method of transportation involves using one’s own legs to get from place to place. It became popular in Europe recently when, on account of increasing public concern about the environmental and health risks associated with increased pollution from automobiles, governments enacted harsh legislation to reduce the number of cars on the roads.

Students interested in trying it should begin by having an idea of where they are going and pointing themselves in the appropriate direction to get there. Generally, a straight line between two points will offer the shortest distance and therefore the fastest commute time, though in an urban environment, walkers should be aware that this may not be safe, let alone possible, due to automobiles and other obstacles. Beware of trashcans, mailboxes, telephone poles, walking-surface inconsistency, and most of all, other walkers.

Begin by placing one foot in front of the other, then transferring your weight from the rear-foot to the forefoot. Repeat as needed, until you have arrived at your destination.

Some people may experience side effects of walking including, but not limited to: better health (both mental and physical), loss of memory (with specific regard to the shuttle schedule), physical presence in places other than where you are right now (some walkers have even reported going to more than one place per day). Should you experience the need to whine about any of these side-effects, stop walking immediately: You are putting yourself in severe danger of losing your natural state of laziness.

Once you have mastered the art of walking, you may wish to progress to advanced forms of self-transportation: Running, technically similar to walking but at an increased rate; cycling, which requires the use of a uni/bi/tricycle; or roller-blading/skating, which requires alternate footwear and possible further consideration regarding your lifestyle preferences.

Regardless of how you choose to get around, you should be happily conscious of the fact that you are not limited to the shuttle, regardless of what House you live in. Once you are comfortable with the concept of walking to places, you may realize there is a world of opportunity surrounding you; the phrase, “The world is at your feet,” will have far less demeaning connotations for the world.

It is important, however, to remember that walking is not for everyone, and you should never discriminate against someone who is unable to walk somewhere—you never know, they might have a disability.

Brendan D.B. Hodge ’07, a Crimson editorial editor, is a government concentrator in Cabot House.