Crimson Wraps Up Road Trip with Split

After going 3-3 in Utah, softball splits twinbill with Quinnipiac

By Elyse N. Hanson, Crimson Staff Writer

After playing six games in Utah, the Harvard softball team returned to New England on Saturday to round up its spring break road trip. The Crimson split the doubleheader against Quinnipiac at Bobcat Field in Hamden, Conn., with the Bobcats taking the first game 5-3 and Harvard coming back to win the second by a 3-1 margin. The games brought the Crimson to 10-11 during the season.

“We feel pretty good with the preseason coming to a close,” co-captain Michele McAteer said. “The games in Utah and the games against Quinnipiac were good practice to have before the season started.”

HARVARD 3, QUINNIPIAC 1

In the second game of the twinbill, sophomore Shelly Madick threw a complete game, allowing the Bobcats only one run off four hits and striking out nine. The sole Quinnipiac run came in the bottom of the first inning. The Bobcats were able to hold Harvard scoreless through the first four frames.

With two outs in the fifth inning—freshman Bailey Vertovez had struck out looking and senior Pilar Adams had popped up to shortstop—junior Lauren Brown homered to score the Crimson’s first run and tie the game at one.

After that, the game was a duel between the pitchers to see who could keep the other team from circling the bases. After allowing a walk in the bottom of the fifth inning, Madick forced a ground out and a fly out before finishing the frame with a strikeout. She only allowed one hit in the sixth and struck out two to keep the score tied.

In the top of the seventh, after junior Jessica Skaare allowed two walks, the Bobcats called in sophomore Kristin Sheriff to relieve her. Junior co-captain Julia Kidder grounded out, advancing two base runners. Senior Erin Halpenny singled and advanced to second on the throw, notching two RBIs and putting Harvard on top 3-1. Madick held Quinnipiac scoreless in the bottom of the inning to give the Crimson the win.

“In the second game we made the plays we needed to make,” McAteer said. “Everyone really stepped up.”

QUNNIPIAC 5, HARVARD 3

Harvard was down 5-2 in the fifth and looked poised to make a comeback after Vertovez came in to hit for senior Rachel Murray and started the inning with a home run. Two outs later, the Crimson had two runners on base and freshman power hitter Jade Reichling at the plate. The Bobcats were able to stifle the rally, however, and got out of the inning by striking out Reichling.

Harvard got off to a good start. Brown began the game with a single and advanced to second off a sacrifice bunt by Halpenny. Kidder walked and advanced to second on a fielder’s choice by Murray. Junior Susie Winkeller drove Kidder home with an RBI single to give the Crimson an early lead.

Winkeller also drove in a run in the third inning to tie the score at two. Quinnipiac retaliated in the bottom half of the frame with three runs, and Harvard was unable to recover even though Vertovez, who came into relieve sophomore Amanda Watkins, was able to hold the Bobcats scoreless in her 3 1/3 innings of relief. Vertovez struck out two and allowed two hits. Watkins, who yielded five runs on six hits and notched two strikeouts, was charged with the loss.

Vertovez proved herself at the plate as well as on the mound, going 1-for-2. Brown went 2-for-3 and freshman Hayley Bock went 1-for-3.

The Crimson will play its first home game this Tuesday at Soldiers Field against Boston College.

—Staff writer Elyse N. Hanson can be reached at ehanson@fas.harvard.edu.

Softball