After Disappointing Loss, Crimson Routed at Home

The Crimson’s playoff hopes were crushed last week, and consequently senior Seamus McKiernan and company struggled versus Lees-McRae.
By Karan Lodha, Crimson Staff Writer

So that’s what it’s like to play with nothing on the line.

Coming into Friday night’s match against non-conference foe Lees-McRae on the brink of being eliminated from postseason consideration, the Harvard men’s volleyball team put up a lackluster effort and was dominated by the Bobcats, losing 3-1 (30-19, 28-30, 30-26, 30-24) at the Malkin Athletic Center.

“We came out flat,” co-captain Seamus McKiernan said. “We really were aiming to beat New Haven, and we were shocked in the fifth game. It’s hard to come back two days later and play well.”

With Wednesday’s loss to Hay Division opponent New Haven, the Crimson (10-11) needed East Stroudsburg (ESU)—who has only lost to Harvard this year—to drop its last two contests in order for the Crimson to make the EIVA playoffs.

Given that the Warriors were facing league bottom-feeder Sacred Heart on Friday night, Harvard’s chances of making the postseason were close to zero.

As expected, ESU swept the Pioneers, clinching the Hay Division and breaking the Crimson players’ hearts.

“[The loss to New Haven] affected us in practice yesterday—we practiced mournfully,” Harvard coach Chris Ridolfi said. “And tonight, we just didn’t stick with the game plan.”

In the meantime, unaware of the goings-on in the Warriors’ match, the Crimson opened with a weak effort, posting only a .097 hitting percentage in the first frame.

Though Harvard kept pace with Lees-McRae (8-4) early, the Bobcats fired off a 7-2 run to move ahead 19-12 and force a Crimson timeout.

Lees-McRae later took five consecutive points on senior Kevin Peoples’ aggressive serve, coasting to an easy 30-19 game one victory.

“We had trouble passing [Peoples],” McKiernan said. “But we also need to serve a little tougher.”

Harvard played much better in the second frame, establishing its block against the Bobcats’ powerful attack.

Though Lees-McRae jumped ahead by a 9-4 margin—driven again by Peoples’ strong serving—the Crimson clawed back and tied the score at 11.

From that point on, neither team led by more than two points.

Harvard finally moved closer to victory with a block by juniors Andy Nelson and Dave Fitz that gave the Crimson a 28-27 lead.

After a Bobcat timeout, Harvard gave up the next point but closed out the game, 30-28, on a kill by Nelson and a block by McKiernan.

“When we really focus on the block,” McKiernan said, “that’s when we usually win games.”

But Lees-McRae reestablished its offense in game three, posting 17 kills to the Crimson’s 12. The Bobcats never trailed, and despite many bursts of scoring from Harvard, Lees-McRae escaped with a 30-26 win.

The Bobcats played even better in the fourth frame, posting 19 kills and just 5 errors on .500 hitting as they raced past the Crimson to close out the match, 30-24.

“They have good hitters,” Ridolfi said. “Once the ball went by the block, we couldn’t defend well.”

Harvard will round out its season with a match against Hay rival New Jersey Tech on Saturday afternoon.

And though the Crimson knows that its season will soon be over, having lost twice this season to the Highlanders will be motivation enough.

“It’s a matter of pride,” McKiernan said. “They’re always cocky, and we’ve lost to them twice this season.”

We’d rather be playing for the playoff spot, but we’re going to get really fired up for that match,” McKiernan added.

The Crimson steps on to the court one final time for the season at 2 pm.

—Staff writer Karan Lodha can be reached at klodha@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Volleyball