Humanities 14 Now To Count Towards Core

By Evan H. Jacobs, Crimson Staff Writer

As students finalize their course schedule for today’s study card guideline, a new core bypass is now available for those unhappy with this year’s Moral Reasoning offerings.

Humanities 14, “Existentialism in Literature and Film,” was approved as a bypass yesterday, according to the course’s instructor, Professor of Philosophy Sean D. Kelly.

The three other newly-created Humanities courses—Humanities 10, 12, and 16—offered this fall were approved as Literature and Arts A bypasses earlier this week by Interim Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles and Dean of the College Benedict H. Gross ’71.

Knowles could not be reached for comment yesterday, and it was unclear whether Knowles and Gross, or the Core office, approved Humanities 14’s new status.

Kelly, in his first year at Harvard, wrote in an e-mail yesterday evening that he was unsure if his course’s new status would cause increased interest among student.

The approval “did seem to make a difference to at least some of the students who were [in class today]” he wrote.