CHL Weighs Gender-Neutral Housing

By Katherine M. Gray, Crimson Staff Writer

The Committee on House Life (CHL) identified several key problems that might squash potential plans to introduce co-educational living in the houses at its meeting yesterday.

Harvard University’ Dining Services’ (HUDS) revenue loss was also discussed by the House masters, House Committee (HoCo) chairs, Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) officials, and College deans that comprise the committee. Both issues will be further examned by CHL subcommittees that will report back to CHL in November.

Problems with Co-Ed housing—otherwise known as “Gender Neutral” housing—included the logistical problem of what to do when students in co-ed living situations leave for a semester to study abroad, leaving an empty bed in a gender neutral living situation. A visiting student needing that bed may not want to be in such a setting.

This problem is less of an issue in the Quad, where all houses have singles or suites and different sexes can be separated by closed doors.

At River houses, however, a student often lives in the common room while roommates live in adjoining singles. Most houses, according to a Harvard official on the committee, do not house students of different genders without separating them by locked doors.

Although some committee members said that those really desiring a co-ed living arrangement, others argued that if there is not a set policy in support of gender neutral housing, students will be uninformed or feel uncomfortable with on-campus housing.

The discussion of HUDS centered on its financial woes. According to one member of the committee, its budget has not kept pace with inflation and an expanding program.

One solution proposed by a committee member was to replace the unlimited meal plan students currently use with a limited meal option. However, this could detract from House life and force dining hall workers to reject some students at the door, the representative noted.

The committee members also gave feedback on a new House Life survey, which awaits approval from the Council of Masters and the Resident Deans of the Houses before it is given to students.

Unlike the annual Tutor survey, the new questionnaire asks questions about the approachability of House masters and the quality of social and academic life in the Houses. And unlike the Senior survey, these questions will be asked of all upperclassmen, not only Seniors. The survey awaits approval from the Council of Masters and Resident Deans.

Several members of the committee could not be reached for comment yesterday. The committee’s policy is that members cannot be quoted on what they say at the meeting.

—Staff writer Katherine M. Gray can be reached at kmgray@fas.harvard.edu.