Harvard Seeks Patriot League Redemption

Preseason All-American cornerback junior Andrew Berry has anchored the secondary in its strong, Ivy award-winning season, but it is not the defense that will find the spotlight in tomorrow’s matchup. The offense that has seen mediocre defenses over the pa
By Lucas A. Paul, Contributing Writer

The Crimson football team (2-2, 2-0 Ivy) wraps up non-conference play at Harvard Stadium against the Lafayette Leopards (4-1) tomorrow at noon.

Although the Crimson enters with a decisive advantage in the all-time series, 9-2 overall and 6-1 under head coach Tim Murphy, it expects this upcoming meeting to be the most difficult so far.

“We know that Lafayette is potentially the best team in the Patriot League,” said junior cornerback and preseason All-American Andrew Berry.

Harvard is coming off a convincing 32-15 victory at Cornell last week, and is finally returning home after playing three of its first four games on the road. Its only home game thus far was a 24-17 victory against Brown in the Crimson’s first-ever night game.

Despite its undefeated record in the Ivy League, Harvard’s two losses have been suffered at the hands of Patriot League opponents. This weekend, the team will be facing the best of that league in Lafayette, which is coming off a 29-0 trouncing of Columbia, and has compiled a 2-1 record against other Ancient Eight schools this year.

Both teams can boast the reigning league defensive players of the week. Senior safety John Hopkins was the second Harvard defensive back to win the award this season, and linebacker Andy Romans garnered the distinction with 13 tackles, including three for a loss of 17 yards. That effort anchored the Leopard defense, which “allowed” a total of -13 rushing yards last week.

Lafayette’s defensive performance against Columbia is indicative of its success all year. The Leopards lead the nation in points and yards allowed and have given up one passing touchdown.

The Crimson counters with a potent offense that has averaged 24 points per game. Senior Chris Pizzotti, who is settling into the starting quarterback role after Liam O’Hagan was knocked out for the year, has established a solid rapport with his wide receivers.

Both teams, however, have struggled to establish a consistent running game, something Harvard hopes to turn around.

“It may not be at the next level right now, but we’re going to get it to the next level between now and the end of the season,” Murphy said.

Lafayette has been running by committee, with four players that have more than 20 rushes and 100 yards apiece, and the squad is waiting for one to establish himself as the every-down back.

“We just seem to go to the next guy and then the next guy,” Leopards coach Frank Tavani said at the team’s weekly media luncheon, held earlier this week. “That’s how you try to build a football program, to have depth.”

The Lafayette offense is not without strengths however. Featuring more of a pro-style attack, it relies on its offensive line and standout receiver Shaun Adair to make plays.

Adair, who leads the team with 23 catches for 301 yards, has also won a special teams player of the week award when he returned three punts for 111 yards and a touchdown. His playmaking skills have caught the attention of the Harvard defensive backfield.

“One of the best receivers we’re going to face this year is Shaun Adair,” Berry said. “But we’re excited for the challenge. We’re confident and we’ve had a string of good games coming in.”

On the other side of the ball, the offense might be facing its biggest test of the year in Lafayette’s defense. However, the focus won’t be so much on the opposing unit as the Crimson’s ability to finish games.

“Both of [Harvard’s losses] should have been wins, so we really should be looking at, in my mind, an undefeated Harvard team at this point,” Tavani said at the media luncheon.

For its part, the Crimson won’t be looking ahead at the upcoming Ivy League schedule until the conclusion of tomorrow’s matchup.

“Our philosophy has always been one game at a time, and the most important game right now is Lafayette,” said defensive end and captain Brad Bagdis. “We’re a 2-2 team and people are looking at us like we’re down and out, and we need to send a message.”

Football