POPSCREEN: Kylie Minogue

"2 Hearts" - Dir. Dawn Shadforth

By Jenny J. Lee, Contributing Writer

Kylie’s getting old. Not just regular old: Madonna old.

In her prime, Kylie Minogue brought composition and color to her music videos at a time when most middle-of-the-road pop artists thought sex appeal just meant humping the camera.

However, for the first single off her tenth studio album, “X,” Kylie seems to be merely going through the motions, and barely even that. Nothing happens in the video, except for her singing atop a black piano and then a black stage. Actually, there’s a lot of black in this video.

It’s glittery and sequined, but it’s dark and there’s not much of that chirpy Polly Pocket-sized Australian girl from Australian soap opera “Neighbours” left to love. Her legions of gay followers are probably mourning their loss.

Her skin-tight costumes look as though they were borrowed from Prince, her curls are shamelessly Xtina-esque, and her set design smacks of Gwen.

She doesn’t even dance, despite the fact that nothing else is going on; instead, she jerkily moves around the stage, rubbing her cheeks against sparkly skull-shaped microphones and looking as if she’s in arthritic pain.

The only redeeming moment comes when she wiggles her bum for the camera, but the wiggling is brief and, well, old news.

—Jenny J. Lee