Under Lights, Crimson Can't Find Spark

Harvard Shut Out, Falls in Final Nonconference Game

Co-captain Jana Berglund and the third-place Crimson couldn’t shake a B.U. team ranked 14th in the nation, mustering only four shots on goal in a 2-0 loss to the Terriers last night at Jordan Field.  Harvard now looks ahead to facing a struggling Dartmout
Co-captain Jana Berglund and the third-place Crimson couldn’t shake a B.U. team ranked 14th in the nation, mustering only four shots on goal in a 2-0 loss to the Terriers last night at Jordan Field. Harvard now looks ahead to facing a struggling Dartmout
By Alison E. Schumer, Contributing Writer

The Harvard field hockey team (7-8, Ivy 3-2) suffered a frustrating loss, 2-0 to No. 14 Boston University (BU) (14-5) at Jordan Field last night.

BU came out strong, struck quickly, and never looked back.

In the fourth minute of the first half, senior Hayley Hamada had an unassisted goal on Crimson goalie senior Siobhan Connolly. Hamada pushed the ball parst the Harvard defense, used her speed to beat the Crimson, and knocked a shot between Connolly’s legs and into the back of the net.

After the quick goal, the Terriers held onto possession throughout the first half, never allowing Harvard to record a shot on goal.

“BU is a very skilled team,” head coach Sue Caples said. “In the first half we didn’t step up and we let them control the play.”

Later in the first half, BU was able to get another goal off of a penalty corner.

In the twenty-third minute, a shot from Terrier junior Holly Wilde beat Connolly to the low-left corner of the goal. The goal was assisted by seniors Pam Spuehler and Sarah Hudak.

For Harvard, the first half was marred by careless turnovers and an inability to move the ball.

“We have been working more on out-letting,” Caples said. “But tonight we needed to get the ball through the midfield.”

The Crimson came out much stronger in the second half, and was able to keep the ball on its offensive end for a good amount of the period.

Harvard had the first two shots on goal of the half, with its closest chance coming on its second shot.

Senior co-captain Devon Shapiro took a shot from the center of the circle, but it was deflected by BU freshman goalie Kim Kastuk before junior Kristin Bannon could redirect it out of harm’s way.

The Crimson had another chance in the second. Freshman Maggie McVeigh challenged Kastuk’s shutout bid when she redirected junior Abbie Harpstead’s shot, but the rookie keeper rose to the challenge.

At game’s end, Harvard’s opportunities were too few, too little, and too late. In total, the Crimson managed only four shots on goal compared to the Terriers’ 10.

Coming into this game, BU had won three of its last four games. The Terriers’ most recent win was against No. 16 Albany 3-1 last Saturday.

Last night’s result marks the fourth consecutive loss for Harvard. In the past two weeks, the Crimson has lost very close games to Yale, Boston College, and Princeton.

But for the final few games, the Crimson is going to have to change momentum.

“We are going to have to concentrate on lots of little details that everyone can improve on,” co-captain Jana Berglund said. “We are going to have to communicate and work on our fundamental skills.”

This loss marked the last non-league game for the Crimson. Due to their last two Ivy losses, Harvard is tied for third place with Columbia and Penn in the Ivy League.

Harvard beat Penn 3-1 on Sept. 8 and will play its last Ivy League game against Columbia on Nov. 2. The Crimson is set to play Dartmouth at home this Saturday.

Even though the Big Green is 1-4 in the Ivy League, the Crimson is beingcareful not to underestimate its opponent.

Still, Saturday offers the opportunity for Harvard to change the momentum of their season.

“Ivy games are always 50-50,” Berglund said. “I am excited for the two Ivy games we have left.”

Field Hockey