Sleepless Biggs Visits Kirkland

'I was flaccid, just to be clear,' explains American Pie star

By Lingbo Li, Contributing Writer

Actor Jason Biggs joked about his “makeout session” with a male co-star in American Pie 2 and discussed his role in its prequel’s apple pie scene in an appearance at Kirkland House on Friday.

Biggs was the latest star to take part in Conversations with Kirkland, a series of talks given by famous individuals.

He started the afternoon with an apology.

“I’ve been up since noon yesterday. That explains my slightly disheveled and inarticulate state,” he told the packed Kirkland Junior Common Room.

He spent most of the rest of the hour fielding questions from students.

Some of the more standard questions were about his favorite female co-star (Alyson Hannigan) and the worst part about being an actor (rejection).

One audience member asked if he was single.

“Nope,” he replied.

“I love her so much. It’s the first time I’ve been in love. I want to make a baby in her belly. True story—I may have already. We’ll know soon,” he said, laughing.

About ten minutes in, a few students wearing Eliot House T-shirts snuck into the room and asked, “Did someone here order thirty delicious sexual pies?” before dropping off three fruit pies with Biggs.

“I love spontaneous stuff like that. I love it. I live for that stuff,” Biggs said later in an interview.

The prank led to banter about his notorious apple pie scene in American Pie.

He explained that the shell of the pie was made of Styrofoam and the edges were covered with pieces of pie to make it look realistic.

“I was flaccid, just to be clear, and so it wasn’t real. We had to keep refreshing the pie chunks...At the end of the day, it was everywhere,” he said. “It was in crevices I didn’t even know existed.”

He said that he doesn’t regret the scene or any others he has appeared in.

“I will do anything for a laugh as long as I think it’s within the proper context of the movie,” he said.

In an interview afterwards, he described one take of American Pie 2 in which he had to kiss costar Seann William Scott and slipped him some tongue.

“I didn’t do it on purpose,” he laughed.

“At a certain point, it was just like, oh, I’m just making out. He’s a little stubbly, but I’m just having a make out session.” That take, fortunately or unfortunately, did not make it into the movie.

Laughter barely stopped during the hour.

“I just thought it was a funny time and an enjoyable time,” Zia A. Okocha ’08 said.

The feeling was evidently mutual. Biggs praised the Harvard campus.

“Everyone is so laid back, so approachable, great sense of humor,” he said.