SPORTS BRIEF: Back at Murr, Hayes wins individual title

By Jonathan B. Steinman, Crimson Staff Writer

Sophomore Michael Hayes took home the the B singles bracket championship at Dartmouth’s Big Green Invitational yesterday, besting his Harvard teammate, freshman Tim Wu by a score of 6-0, 6-3 yesterday. The match was played at Harvard’s Murr Center to allow both players to attend class.

Crimson freshman Will Guzick lost to Dartmouth’s Mark Brodie in the finals of the A singles bracket, 7-5, 6-1, in a match played yesterday at Dartmouth.

For the seven Crimson players who played, mostly freshmen and players lower on the roster, the Big Green Invitational was an opportunity to play competitively and gain confidence. All seven players—Hayes, freshmen Guzick, Wu, Cameron Parker, Alexei Chijoff-Evans, and Aba Omodele-Lucien, and junior Michael Kalfayan—made it into the quarterfinal round of either the A or B brackets.

While it was a good tournament for Harvard overall, the Big Green Invitational may have been particularly good for Hayes, who did not lose a set in four matches.

In doubles action, Chijoff-Evans and Omodele-Lucien cruised past the competition, taking home the A bracket title.

This weekend’s action at the Big Green Invitational in Hanover, N.H., the Seminole Invitational in Tallahassee, Fla., and the ITA National Indoor Championships in Columbus, Ohio, wrapped up the fall season for the men’s tennis team.

Harvard will return to the courts in the spring to face the Ivy League.

—JONATHAN B. STEINMAN

Men's Tennis