SPOTLIGHT: Stefan P. Jackiw '07

By Sylvia A. Castillo, Crimson Staff Writer

Stefan P. Jackiw ’07, a Music concentrator and Artist Diploma candidate at the New England Conservatory, is an internationally renowned violin soloist, having performed with the Boston Symphony Orchestra, the Philharmonia Orchestra in London, and the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, among others. A Boston native, Jackiw will be performing this week with the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra, under the direction of Benjamin Zander, whom Jackiw has known since he was 16. Focusing on classical performance, Jackiw has played the violin since he was a child.

'I started when I was four and am 21 now, so [I’ve played for] 17 years. I only do classical right now. It’s important for me to focus on one thing and sort of do the best I can in that one area and establish myself in that one area before sort of exploring other options.'

It can be hard to find a job that one loves, and Jackiw is grateful that he will be able to perform professionally after college.

'Artists, in general, are very lucky. If everything goes right they end up doing for the rest of their life something they love. I feel very lucky that I am able to combine my number one passion with what will be my career.'

Even though Jackiw enjoys playing the violin, he admits that practicing for five hours a day can be tedious.

'When you’re practicing to be a soloist, which I am, you’re practicing by yourself. You’re in a small room, and it can be kind of boring, because it’s like studying for a test. When you are trying to memorize something, you go over it and over it, and it’s not a fun process. Every job has its dues that you have to pay, and that’s what it is for music.'

Jackiw has performed with orchestras around the world. While traveling can be exhausting, Jackiw tries to make the best of it.

'This past summer I spent a month doing a tour of China and Japan, which was amazing. But at the same time, when you’re by yourself for a month, it’s difficult to go out and decide, “Alright, I’m in Beijing, I don’t speak a word of Chinese, I don’t know my way around the city, it’s kind of scary, but I’m just going to go out and see what people should see,” rather than, “Oh, what did you do in China? Oh, I stayed in a hotel room and watched CNN.” I mean, that’s horrible. But I mean, traveling is also a wonderful part of going around and performing.'

While it would be easy to let his nerves inhibit his performance, Jackiw chooses to channel his adrenaline into excitement.

'I think the most important thing is to try to make your listener feel something, and make them interested in what you’re doing. Of course, you practice hours and hours preparing for it. But when you’re up there, no one really cares about how much you practiced or what you’re thinking about at the time. What they care about is how what you are doing makes them feel. That’s what I try to focus on, trying to convey something to my listeners.'

As a senior, Stefan looks toward the future with much enthusiasm and hope. He already has concerts lined up for the next three years.

'I’m going to be sad to graduate, but at the same time I plan to move to New York. No grad school, just concerts full time. I mean, New York, at least in the U.S. is the center of classical music, and it’s really the place to be if you’re an aspiring musician. So that will be very exciting. Obviously, I’ve met incredible people here and that’s been the best part of my experience at Harvard. So I’m sad to be leaving that, but at the same time, once I graduate, it will be the first time in my life that I am not going to school and I’ll be devoting 100 percent of my time to what I’m really interested in and passionate about.'

Jackiw will perform with the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra in Sanders Theatre on Feb. 22 and 25 at 7:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m., respectively, and in Jordan Hall on Feb. 24 at 8:00 p.m.