Mann Called to U.S. U-20 Training Camp

By Emily W. Cunningham, Crimson Staff Writer

Lauren Mann, freshman goalkeeper for the Harvard women’s soccer team and 2006 Ivy League Rookie of the Year, has been invited to participate in the first training camp for the U.S. Under-20 Women’s National Team.

Camp began Sunday in Carson, Calif., and will run through Feb. 11. This week-long session serves as training for the team’s two upcoming matches against the Mexican National Team between Feb. 18-23.

Over the next year, U-20 coach Jill Ellis will narrow this group of 30 down to a smaller squad that will represent the U.S. in the 2008 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup in Chile.

Last fall, Mann provided a solid presence in goal for new head coach Erica Walsh and a inexperienced team that included 11 freshmen. Starting all 17 games for the Crimson, Mann recorded three shutouts and a league-leading 84 saves.

One of four goalkeepers invited to the national camp, Mann now has a chance to prove her talent on a bigger stage. Competing just in team scrimmages this week, she has been splitting playing time equally with the three other players at her position.

“I’m surrounded by kids who are the best in nation, so it’s going to be great training with them, playing with them, having them alongside me on the field,” Mann said in a phone call from California. “It’s a much more competitive environment, and that really brings out the best in me. I hope that I can carry that back to Harvard.”

Women's Soccer