Akpan, U-20 Team Prep for World Cup

Rising Harvard sophomore joins nation's best young talent

By Mauricio A. Cruz, Crimson Staff Writer

The conference’s reigning Rookie of the Year in men’s soccer won’t be seeing familiar foes when he steps onto the soccer pitch this summer. Instead, Andre’ Akpan will swap the Bulldogs and Tigers of the Ivy League for the Seleção and the Teaguk Warriors of Brazil and Korea Republic respectively, as the rising sophomore was named to the United States U-20 National Team Roster for this summer’s Under-20 World Cup.

Leading the team in points and assists last year en route to helping Harvard capture the league title, Akpan has donned the red, white, and blue kit of the U.S. national team this summer in preparation for the largest youth tournament in the world.

The FIFA Under-20 World Cup, held every two years by soccer’s largest governing body, is being hosted by Canada from June 30 to July 22. A total of 24 teams qualify for the biennial competition, with the teams being split into six groups of four for the tournament’s opening group stages.

The United States’ U-20 squad has been drawn into a particularly tough group. No longer afforded with the opportunity of playing regional pushovers like Haiti and Guatemala as was the case during the qualifying rounds, the U.S. has to prepare for South American powerhouse Brazil, Poland, and Korea Republic. Although the squad features an outstanding number of professional soccer players—at 14, it is the highest representation of professionals the United States has ever seen—the caliber of the opposition is truly world class, featuring several players who have played significant minutes in either Copa Libertadores (The South American Club Championship) or in UEFA Champions League. Marcelo, a member of the Seleção of Brazil, plays his club ball at Real Madrid, the current champion of the Spanish Primera division.

The mere presence of such world-class talent could potentially frighten internationally inexperienced players. But even though the U.S. squad has its share of professionals, with players in MLS (such as Freddy Adu and Jozy Altidore), in Italy (Gabriel Ferrari), and in the senior national team (Michael Bradley), it is Akpan whose four goals in pre-World Cup friendlies leads the team this year

One of only eight college players to make the final roster, Akpan’s road was particularly difficult due to the amount of depth at the forward position. Although he managed to score a hat trick against Haiti during qualifying, his spot on the roster wasn’t a sure thing, as he failed to receive significant starting time for the rest of qualifiers. Subsequent performances in international friendlies—he notched a goal and an assist against Canada—helped boost Akpan’s stock, and consequently, his position on the U-20 team.

The U.S. squad will look to improve on its 2005 performance, when the team was eliminated by Italy in the second round. Akpan and company commence group play against Korea Republic on June 30, followed by Poland on July 3 and Brazil on July 6. The U.S. will play its first two games at the Olympic Stadium in Montreal before traveling to Ottawa to face Brazil.

Arguably the most talented U.S. roster since the days of Landon Donovan and DaMarcus Beasley, the U.S. will depend on its professionals and its college all-stars like Akpan to lift the team to the upper echelon of global soccer prestige.

It’s a long way from Ohiri Field, but if Akpan’s past successes are any indication, the transition should be seamless.

—Staff writer Mauricio A. Cruz can be reached at cruz2@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Soccer