Shifting the Race Debate

By Bryan C. Barnhill, Anjelica M. Kelly, and Sarah Lockridge-steckel

Commencement is ironically a time for closing. It is a time when Harvard presents, after four toilsome years, its illustrious graduating class. They have been equipped with the keen ethical and intellectual insight to answer the Harvard call of duty: “Depart to serve better thy country and they kind.” Harvard is, and has long been, a paramount institution. Its graduates are the enlightened; they are the light bearers and the promised leaders of tomorrow. This is why the events of May 12 should never have happened.

A Saturday afternoon of relay races, hula-hooping, and card games in the Quad was interrupted by a call to the police. What was it about this group that made their presence so jarring to the general sense of security? An open email discussion between Harvard students that referred to this group as “random,” “non-Harvard,” “young-looking” people who were “trampling the grass” indicates the answer. Despite similar events in the Quad, such as “Quad Day,” a group of black students playing field games seemed out of place. Even with their familiar faces, and t-shirts that read either “the Association of Black Harvard Women” or “the Harvard Black Men’s Forum,” those in the surrounding Houses were suspicious and concerned by this group’s presence. It is disturbing that Harvard students reached the illogical and hasty conclusion that the students playing on the Quad were trespassers.

Unfortunately, May 12 was not an aberration. In addition to dealing with the typical pains of being away from home and coping with a vigorous academic schedule, black students at Harvard must endure undue suspicion regarding their presence on campus. Many black students can share stories of having the police called on them, being asked to show IDs, being carefully scrutinized while shopping in the square, and receiving double-takes from fellow T riders as they exit the Red Line at the Harvard Square stop.

Now to some, these things are just inconsequential micro-aggressions that people of color should just get over. However, what is key is the underlying bias that unites all of these instances. Implicit in the assumption that black students do not belong at Harvard is the archaic idea that black people are incapable of laying claim to the Harvard legacy, both real and mythologized. What is sad is that we as a society have not gotten over the very basic notion that racial identity does not impute capacity or potential.

As evidenced by accusations of hyper-sensitivity and race-baiting following the Quad incident, it seems as though the general attitude has not been to learn from our country’s racist past, but to disengage from it. Underlying the refusal to acknowledge the painful reality of racism is the agonizing fear that racism still exists, or even worse, that one may be racist. In some cases, the aversion to racism even manifests itself in destructive ways; racism is so detestable that, in fear, we convince ourselves that it is no longer a problem.

Modern day public discourse on race is insufficient and has instead been conveniently and irresponsibly framed in terms of diversity. The idea is that by being around different groups of people and by learning about their unique experiences, one is able to acquire a cosmopolitan perspective that will ultimately create racial harmony. Even more preposterous is the notion that diversity automatically leads to equality.

Convinced of its saving graces, institutions, desirous of displaying their diversity, rush to include their minorities in catalogues and brochures. Diversity acts as a badge of progressivism and serves an indication that racism is non-existent. But true equality is more than just smiling faces and colorful catalogues; just as addressing racism is more complex than ensuring 10 percent of a Harvard class is black each year. While overt cases of racism at Harvard and elsewhere are indeed egregious, they are manifestations of institutional racism in America. Take a look at high school graduation statistics, the achievement gap, or conditions in inner-city schools, and it is clear that the effects of racism run much deeper.

If we all are living under the assumption that race does not reflect potential, then the glaring statistics suggest that we are doing something wrong. Race today still seems to be a pervasive force in our lives, whether dictating how Harvard students are treated or reflecting access to education in America. Harvard is the world leader in higher education. For that reason, Harvard must set a precedent for how race is addressed at the institutional and educational level.

The conversation must be shifted away from tolerance and diversity to progressive and solution-oriented discourse. By creating new programs and initiatives in the line of Harvard Financial Aid Initiative and summer enrichment programming for high school youth, Harvard must advance the statement that conversation is not a substitute for action.

With all of Harvard’s prestige, resources, and influence, this road to true progress involves more than institutional changes. Our peers, professors, and sympathizers must do more than provide a listening ear. In the 21st century, the stakes are too high to allow race to continue to determine opportunities within our society. Changing how we address race would help all to regain perspective on what the problem is: that racism still remains a force to be reckoned with.

Sarah Lockridge-Steckel ’09 is the president of the Black Students Association. Anjelica M. Kelly ’09 is President of the Association of Black Harvard Women. Bryan C. Barnhill ’08 is the president of the Black Men’s Forum.