Fresh Faces Provide Spark

Sophomore Magnarelli and freshman Carey contribute to Crimson victory.

By Kevin C. Reyes, Crimson Staff Writer

During the preseason, the only sophomore getting much attention on the Harvard men’s basketball team was Jeremy Lin.

It’s now safe to add Pat Magnarelli to the list.

The sophomore forward scored 21 points and grabbed 11 rebounds to lead the Crimson in both categories in its 77-57 win over Colgate last night at Lavietes Pavilion.

Magnarelli produced his 11th double digit scoring effort of the season and his fourth double-double performance, improving his averages to 11.5 points per game and a team-best 6.5 rebounds per game.

With only Ivy League games remaining on the Harvard schedule, having the big man playing at such a high level is important to Crimson’s success

“Well I hope I’m not peaking right now because I don’t want to stop playing like this,” Magnarelli said. “I’m getting more comfortable. We’re working the ball down low; we’re passing well out of the post. Good things are happening every time we go down low so hopefully we can keep that going.”

Coach Tommy Amaker praised the starting center for his performance of late, but he knows his big man can improve further.

“Magnarelli’s line is pretty impressive—except for those five turnovers,” Amaker said.

“He’s been really solid for us,” Amaker continued. “I think he’s been consistent, we can rely on him, and he’s been dependable. I’m really proud of his play, his effort, and his leadership on the court.”

The other sophomore, Lin, scored 17 points, notched eight rebounds, and added five assists.

BENCH MOB

For the second straight game, freshman guard T.J. Carey replaced junior Drew Housman in the starting lineup, and for the third straight outing, senior captain Brad Unger filled in for junior Evan Harris.

Unger notched 12 points and four rebounds, including two-of-two from behind the arc, while Carey didn’t score but added seven rebounds.

“He’s been very solid for us and we’re pleased with his play,” Amaker said of Carey. “Seven rebounds from the point guard spot as a freshman…he’s doing well. He’s a tough kid.”

This changing of the guard also gives the bench a very different look. Housman and Harris are among the first off the bench and give life to the second unit.

“I think that’s one of the keys for us now. Our bench has given us a lift to where we can play more bodies and when we go to our bench, instead of a drop off, we’re picking up the pace,” Amaker said. “It’s really nice to have Housman coming in as a veteran guard and Evan coming in as a veteran frontcourt player.”

Housman scored eight points in 25 minutes, including a key three-pointer in the midst of a 15-3 Crimson run to close out the first half. Harris, however, was limited to just eight minutes with foul trouble.

“They’re playing just as hard as they were before,” Magnarelli said of Housman and Harris. “T.J. and Brad have done a great job in the starting roles, but Drew and Evan are giving us that spark off the bench when they get into the game.”

—Staff writer Kevin C. Reyes can be reached at kreyes@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Basketball