Israeli Culture on Display at I-Fest

Attendees write notes to be delivered to the Western Wall, buy shot glasses

Students enjoy falafel and blue and white cupcakes at the Students for Israel-sponsored “Israel Fest: Celebration of Israeli Culture and History” yesterday in a tent by the Science Center.
By Liyun Jin, Contributing Writer

The pulsating beat of Israeli pop music and the aroma of falafel drifted out of a tent on the rain-drenched Science Center lawn yesterday during the sixth annual Israel Fest, a showcase of Israeli culture.

I-Fest, co-sponsored by Harvard Students for Israel, the Harvard College Progressive Jewish Alliance, and Harvard Hillel, featured free food, activities, and booths for various Israel-related organizations.

“Our goal is to make Israel a lot more accessible to the general population,” explained HSI President Miranda E. Rosenberg ’09, the main organizer of the event. “We want to portray a side of the country you don’t see in the news.”

To this end, I-Fest featured posters that explained the country’s history, Supreme Court, ethnic and religious diversity, LGBT and women’s rights, and other aspects of Israeli culture.

Programming Coordinator for HSI Rachel E. Levy ’11 expressed her desire to “show that Israel is fun,” adding that this year’s I-Fest had even more food and activities than in the past. Attendees were able to make Hebrew name bracelets, purchase HSI t-shirts and shot glasses that proclaimed “Give peace a shot,” enter a raffle to win posters of Israel, and play “Pin Israel on the Map.”

Students also had the opportunity to write notes for the Western Wall, which Levy will deliver to the Jewish holy site when she goes to Israel this winter.

Those present at the event included Harvard students from across the University, professors, Cambridge residents, and tourists, who cited the free snacks as a major draw.

Allison E Rosenberg ’12 said that she was initially attracted by the food but that the event also allowed her to learn more about study abroad opportunities in Israel and Harvard’s pro-Israel community.

Other organizations present at the event included the Israel Campus Roundtable, the David Project, and Birthright Israel, with booths that gave attendees information about the country and travel opportunities to Israel.

Despite the persistent rain, an estimated 1,000 people passed through the event. The turnout was “amazing,” said HSI board member Jeffrey Kwong ’09. “The pitas are all gone, which is a good sign.”