Senior House Reps Chosen

By Charles J. Wells, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard Alumni Association announced the results of the Class of 2009’s House representative election Tuesday night, adding 12 new members—one from each undergraduate House—to the Senior Class Committee.

The representatives will serve as liaisons between their Houses and the committee, which is charged with organizing social events for this year’s seniors and maintaining the College community after graduation, according to Alexandra Monti, the senior class coordinator at the Harvard Alumni Association.

House masters and House committee leaders cited House pride and communicative ability when asked about many of the representatives’ qualifications.

“She’s a House patriot,” Kirkland House Master Tom C. Conley said of the House’s representative, Jennifer S. Love ’09.

Conley added that Love is a “communicator,” “immensely collegial,” and “a very proactive member of the HoCo.”

Dunster HoCo co-chair Anna M. Chen ’09 showered similar praise over her representative, Brittany L. Lin ’09.

“She’s incredibly friendly and supportive of people in the House, she has a lot of House pride, and a lot of enthusiasm for Dunster activities,” Chen said.

Eight of the 12 House representatives, elected by members of only their Houses, ran unsuccessful bids for class marshal, a position that requires obtaining votes from the entire senior class.

One of the eight, Leverett House representative Camden Vilkin ’09, said that with the results of both the class marshal and House representative elections in mind, she now thinks that the latter position is a better fit.

“I was a transfer student and I’ve really come to appreciate the House environment, so I’m excited to represent my House specifically,” she said.

Many of the representatives say they have yet to be informed of their exact roles, but that they are excited nonetheless.

“They haven’t told us what our roles are yet so I don’t know what cool events we’ll be able to plan,” Pforzheimer House representative Rafael A. Miranda ’09 said.

But Miranda added that all the representatives will meet next week where they will be informed of their tasks for the year—and for the decades to come.

In addition to Love, Lin, Vilkin, and Miranda, the other students elected were Kylie P. Stone ’09 of Adams House, Brieana P. B. Marticorena ’09 of Cabot House, Devin D. Smith ’09 of Currier House, Sheila C. Lee ’09 of Eliot House, Ricky B. Shah ’09 of Lowell House, Derek N. Jones ’09 of Mather House, Seema Amble of Quincy House, and Jeffrey Kwong ’09 of Winthrop House.

—Staff writer Charles J. Wells can be reached at wells2@fas.harvard.edu.