Two Qualify For NCAA Champs

By Max N. Brondfield, Crimson Staff Writer

Despite a muddy course and crowded field, the Harvard men’s and women’s cross-country squads made a strong showing at NCAA Northeastern Regionals on Saturday, placing eighth and seventh, respectively, in addition to qualifying one representative each for the championship race in Terre Haute, Ind.

New York’s Van Cortlandt Park course provided a familiar stomping ground for the runners, who made their second trip to the park in as many weeks.

Sophomore Claire Richardson led a tremendous women’s effort in which all five Crimson scorers finished in the top 60 of the 247-person 6K field.

Richardson finished seventh overall with time of 21:46.7, good enough for the top spot among Ivy League competitors and a ticket to the championships in two weeks.

Freshmen Nicole Cochran and Kailyn Kuzmuk, along with sophomores Hilary May and Jamie Olson, rounded out the scoring for the young team, maintaining a tight pack between 50th and 60th en route to Harvard’s best team finish since 1997.

“[The race] went really well,” Richardson said. “People were ready to come back and race hard after Heps, and we just wanted to go out there and have fun.”

The Crimson women accomplished this goal and more, turning the difficult conditions into an advantage.

“Conditions did make times slower and made it more difficult,” Richardson explained. “But we were just stomping around in the mud having a great time. That’s what cross country is all about, and we actually enjoyed [the challenge].”

Harvard’s male competitors did not express as much enthusiasm for the sloppy course, but achieved equal success in the 10K race.

Sophomore Dan Chenoweth matched his classmate’s accomplishment, finishing sixth overall to earn his own trip to Indiana. The Crimson’s top runner crossed the finish line in 31:29.8, followed by junior co-captain Chas Gillespie, freshman Brandon Jarrett, junior Stephen Chester and sophomore Ryan Neely. All five point scorers broke the top 85, giving Harvard the third-best Ivy League score.

“We did well considering all the factors,” Gillespie said. “The [10K] course was like a mudbath, and with a much bigger field, it’s harder to have your own space. I’m proud of the guys, though. They definitely rose above it.”

Both squads had to dig deep in order to overcome an extended race. For the first three months of the season the men and women run 8K and 5K races respectively, undertaking the longer distance for the first time at regionals. Still, Chenoweth cited good preparation as an important advantage.

“We’ve been to [Van Cortlandt] a couple of times, and, even though the course is a little longer, it’s less hilly,” the sophomore said. “We also have a pretty solid pack. [Harvard coach Jason Saretsky] has them go out together, and we try to keep each other under control.”

The Crimson will have one more chance to build on its Van Cortlandt efforts, when both squads return to New York to complete the season at the ECAC/IC4A championships next weekend.

Although both Harvard teams will not have the opportunity to compete in NCAAs, Richardson and Chenoweth will continue to bear the Crimson standard at the championships.

After garnering First and Second-Team All-Ivy honors, respectively, the pair of sophomores will make their first trip to NCAAs in their young careers.

“It’s exciting,” Richardson said. “I don’t really know what to make of it. I’m excited to experience what Nationals is like and be able to tell the team about it for when we qualify next year.”

With tremendously talented youth on both squads, another year of experience may turn this Crimson ambition into a reality.

—Staff writer Max N. Brondfield can be reached at mbrondf@fas.harvard.edu.

Track and Cross Country