THE GAME '08: Face to Face

Yale running back Mike McLeod
Yale running back Mike McLeod
By Crimson staff, None

Mike McLeod vs. The Harvard Front Seven

For the last few years, one name has stood above the rest when it comes to the Yale offense. Mike McLeod tore apart defense after defense on his way to Ivy League Player of the Year honors in 2007—that is, until the Crimson front seven got in his way. The corps limited him to just 50 yards on the ground, a performance that can’t be far from the back of his mind as he enters this year’s edition of the game. Although he started off more slowly this fall, the back has hit his stride at a time when Harvard’s D has begun to falter. A previously unstoppable force, it has allowed a rusher over 100 yards in three of the last five matchups.

Matt Curtis vs. Bobby Abare

The two captains share more than just the program cover. Both are emotional leaders for defenses that rank near the top of the league, and both have been among their respective squad’s top playmakers throughout the season. Abare leads the Bulldogs with 68 tackles and has added 3.5 sacks and four of Yale’s league-leading 19 interceptions on the year. He’ll need to make plenty of plays against a Harvard offense that leads the league in scoring. Curtis will look to have a big day against a Bulldog offense that has moved more toward the pass this season. In the process, Yale has surrendered a league-worst 23 sacks through nine games, and Curtis leads an aggressive Crimson pass rush with four sacks.

The Crimson’s Wideouts vs. The Yale Secondary

The Bulldogs lead the nation in scoring defense and are second in the Ivies in total defense, in large part due to their experienced secondary. Yale is second in the nation in pass defense efficiency, allowing just six touchdown passes against 19 interceptions. Penn coach Al Bagnoli joked last week that the Crimson must have a height requirement for its receiving corps. Top target Matt Luft is 6’6, sophomore Chris Lorditch (left) is 6’4, and classmate Levi Richards is 6’2, all at least as tall as Yale’s tallest defensive back, Paul Rice. Harvard’s offense will need to use their height and speed to create a passing attack that equals last year’s success.

PreviewsFootball