THE GAME '08: The Evolution of a Champion

1Uncaptioned photo
1Uncaptioned photo
By Crimson staff, None

NOVEMBER 20, 2004

HARVARD 35, YALE 3

During Chris Pizzotti’s freshman year, then-quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick ’05—now starting for the Cincinnati Bengals—leads Harvard to an undefeated season and an Ivy title. Pizzotti watches the Crimson’s victory from the bench, as Fitzpatrick throws for 124 yards, Ricky Williamson ’05 returns a 100-yard interception, and receiver Brian Edwards ’05 has a 53-yard punt return for a touchdown.

SEPTEMBER 30, 2006

HARVARD 35, LEHIGH 33

Starting at the beginning of the season because of Liam O’Hagan’s suspension, Pizzotti unexpectedly returns from a knee injury and throws for 291 yards and a touchdown in leading a comeback from a 24-7 deficit. The Crimson scores 28 unanswered points over the second and third quarters and running back Clifton Dawson ’07 runs for three touchdowns on 94 yards.

OCTOBER 21, 2006

PRINCETON 31, HARVARD 28

With O’Hagan back from suspension, Pizzotti gets the start. But after going just 4-for-9 for only 46 yards and an interception in the first quarter, Pizzotti is pulled in the third. O’Hagan takes a 28-24 lead into the fourth frame, but the Tigers mount a comeback to win. O’Hagan returns as the starter at quarterback, and Pizzotti does not play again until limited action in The Game.

SEPTEMBER 29, 2007

LEHIGH 20, HARVARD 13

O’Hagan, the starter to begin 2007, suffers a season-ending shoulder injury. Pizzotti enters and leads a 96-yard touchdown drive, finishing the day 18-for-28 for 252 yards. The return to the field was marred when, tied at 13 with less than a minute remaining, Pizzotti was hit and fumbled. The fumble was recovered and returned for a touchdown by Lehigh defensive lineman Paul Bode.

NOVEMBER 17, 2007

HARVARD 37, YALE 6

With both teams heading into The Game undefeated for the first time since 1968’s infamous 29-29 Crimson victory, Pizzotti picks apart the Bulldog defense with 316 passing yards and a career-high four touchdowns, solidifying his spot on the All-Ivy First Team while only starting seven games. Despite O’Hagan’s return, Pizzotti enters the 2008 season as the unquestioned starter.

NOVEMBER 8, 2008

HARVARD 42, COLUMBIA 28

Firmly in control as Harvard’s starting quarterback, Pizzotti passes for a career-high 376 yards, hitting two different receivers for more than 100 yards and matching his career high of four touchdowns. With Brown’s loss to Yale in the same week, the Crimson regains control of its own destiny in the Ivy race, and a win at Penn leaves at least a share of the Ivy title on the line in The Game.

PreviewsFootball