NOTEBOOK: Harvard Yet To Find Consistency

Missing tri-captain, shifting lineups rattle Harvard

By Loren Amor and Kate Leist, Crimson Staff Writerss

Four games into the season, the Harvard women’s hockey team is struggling to find its rhythm. In the absence of tri-captain Sarah Vaillancourt, the Crimson has been trying to find a lineup that works, using a different set of starters in each contest.

Only one player, tri-captain and first-line center Jenny Brine, has started every game thus far.

“We have great leadership this year, but we’re struggling to find an identity, and that’s something we’re going to have to figure out here in a hurry,” Harvard assistant coach Joakim Flygh said after Friday’s game.

Although the offensive first line of Brine, senior Sarah Wilson, and sophomore Kate Buesser has remained steady for the last three games, the defense has seen a bit more shuffling.

Junior defenseman Cori Bassett has made three starts, each coming with a different linemate. Sophomore Liza Ryabkina, who began the season playing defense with Bassett, has returned to playing left wing.

The lineup changes are just one part of Harvard’s early-season battle to solidify its on-ice chemistry.

“I think we have yet to play a full 60-minute hockey game so far this season, and I really think that is going to be our emphasis from this point on,” junior goaltender Christina Kessler said.

MAN DOWN

The Crimson got plenty of chances to show off its penalty-killing prowess this weekend, holding RPI and Union scoreless in their combined 10 power-play chances.

Harvard has successfully killed 91.3% of its penalties so far this season.

However, in a different kind of extra-attacker situation, the Crimson faltered. When the Engineers pulled their goaltender with a minute to play in Friday’s game, Kessler simply couldn’t stop the barrage of shots the six attackers peppered her with.

“Obviously, the extra attacker when they pull their goaltender is something we’re going to have to spend some time working on,” Flygh said. “We played desperate. We didn’t play to our systems and what we wanted to accomplish.”

Although the goal mirrored Harvard’s second-period tally, when Kessler was pulled to create the offensive pressure the Crimson needed to get the puck in the net, it also spoke to the early season struggles of the team’s defensive unit.

“We have some kids coming back from injuries and illness, we’ve got to work them back into the lineup, so obviously it’s only going to get better with time,” Flygh said. “We have a lot of work left to do defensively. That’s where we need to get better, there’s no question.”

OLD FRIENDS

Harvard faced a pair of familiar faces behind the opposing bench in Saturday’s 5-0 win over Union. Former Crimson assistant Claudia Asano is now the Dutchwomen’s head coach and Ali Boe ’06, a former Harvard goalie, is one of Asano’s assistants.

While Union stands at 0-11-1 this season, the Dutchwomen have shown marked improvement under the guidance of Asano and Boe.

“I think they’ve done wonders with the program over there,” Brine said. “From freshmen year to where they are now is a huge difference. We know now going to play them that it’s not going to be an easy game.”

For senior goalie Brittany Martin, the game against the Dutchwomen was also an opportunity to catch up with Boe, who was a senior in Martin’s freshman year. The two exchanged some good-natured ribbing before the game.

“Last year [Boe] called me out on having my sleeves pulled up on my jersey, so this year I pulled them down and made sure I showed them to her before I went out there,” Martin said.

THREE’S A CROWD

While Kessler remains Harvard’s starting goalie, the game against Union gave the Crimson a chance to give its other netminders some playing time.

Martin and sophomore Kylie Stephens split time in the net on Saturday, combining for the 5-0 shutout.

“I think it’s a great strength that we’re very lucky to have,” Martin said. “Many teams don’t have one good goalie and we’re lucky to have three of them.”

PENALTY SHOTS

Friday’s game was the first time the Crimson recorded a tie since a 2-2 draw against Dartmouth on Jan. 12, 2007...Kessler narrowly missed her 16th career shutout on Friday, which would have given her sole possession of the all-time Harvard record.

—Staff writer Loren Amor can be reached at lamor@fas.harvard.edu.

—Staff writer Kate Leist can be reached at kdleist@fas.harvard.edu.

Women's Ice Hockey