Season-Ending Defeat Caps Six-Game Losing Streak

Up-and-down fall ends with 3-1 loss to Columbia on Senior Day

Sophomore Kristen Ohanian posted the lone bright spot on an otherwise tough afternoon for the reeling Crimson. On Senior Day at Jordan Field, Harvard dropped its sixth game in a row 3-1 to Columbia. After what seemed to be a promising season in the early
By Melissa Schellberg, Contributing Writer

The Harvard field hockey team’s season came to a close on Saturday afternoon in a game against Columbia in which it looked to break a five-game losing streak. In a hard fought game at Jordan Field, the Crimson (6-11, 2-5 Ivy) came up short, falling to the Lions (11-6, 2-5 ) 3-1.

“We would have loved to end it with a win for the seniors,” Harvard coach Sue Caples said. “It has been a struggle at times [this year], but we have continued to develop. I guess that’s the silver lining. The outcome wasn’t there, but we developed as a team. There were some bumps in the road, but some good high points too.”

Columbia struck first five minutes into the first half. As Lions forward Jane Gartland carried the ball into the circle, senior goaltender Kylie Stone was forced to leave the cage to challenge the threat. Gartland sent a quick pass to teammate Maggie O’Connor, who lightly knocked the ball past Stone and into the left side of the net.

Harvard evened things up midway through the first. After sophomore Leigh McCoy’s shot was blocked, the ball lingered in front of the net. As several Crimson and Lions players scrambled in front of the cage in an attempt to win possession, sophomore Kristin Ohanian snuck the ball over the goal line for her first score of the season.

The score was even at halftime with Harvard outshooting Columbia, 10-4, and holding a 5-3 advantage in penalty corners.

The second half was a defensive struggle until with 15 minutes remaining Columbia took the lead. Lions forward Christine Buszczak ran with the ball on a breakaway, dodging a Crimson defender and firing an open shot on net that whizzed past Stone.

Under three minutes later, the Lions added an insurance goal. After Stone blocked a shot by Buszczak, Gartland swooped in and buried the rebound into the cage.

The Crimson earned several late penalty corners, but was unable to capitalize on any of its opportunities.

“I thought we attacked a lot,” captain Kayla Romanelli said. “We had 10 shots, which is an improvement from our past couple games.”

The Harvard offense was shut down by Columbia goalkeeper Gena Miller, who recorded 11 saves on the afternoon. Ultimately, Harvard accumulated 10 penalty corners and out-shot the Lions 18-7.

With its season over, Harvard now looks towards next fall and how it can improve.

“[The seniors] have left us in a pretty good position,” Caples said. “I guess that will be a testament to their legacy, how everyone will step up. They were hardworking and fun personalities.”

Even after the loss on Saturday, Romanelli had a smile on her face. Taking their last jog together hand-in-hand with their team after the game, the five seniors left the field with hugs from fellow teammates and four years worth of memories.

“It’s really sad,” Romanelli said, reminiscing about her college career. “It’s been a long four years. I’ve learned a lot, and my team is amazing. I’ll miss them a bunch.”

Harvard finished the season tied for fifth place in the Ivy League with Columbia and Yale.

“We are excited to get ready for next year,” Ohanian said. “We are going to miss our seniors. It’s a good note to end on, even though it was a loss. It was a hard-fought game and a good way to start the offseason.”

Field Hockey