Returning Starters Can’t Propel Crimson

Despite the return of key players to the lineup, the Crimson couldn’t pull through in the final set, falling to NYU, 3-2, for its third-straight loss.
By Michael J. Buckley, Contributing Writer

Despite the return of its full lineup, the Harvard men’s volleyball team failed to capture a victory last Friday.

The Crimson fell to New York University, 3-2 (31-29, 21-30, 25-30, 30-24, 15-13), marking its second loss of the week. Although Harvard (4-5, 3-2 EIVA Hay) was winning the match 2-1 after the third game, NYU (9-5, 2-1) was able to come back, claiming the final two frames of an intense five-game match.

“I think the guys played an amazing game,” Harvard coach Jose Barbosa said. “But I think we had to win the fourth game.”

The fourth game was certainly the turning point, with the Crimson coming off two straight victories, 30-21 and 30-25. The problems really began in the first game, however, when Harvard posted a significant number of errors, 13 of its 34 total. Despite so many errors, the Crimson fell to the Violets 29-31 in a tight game. NYU’s winning point in the game came from a hitting error by Harvard.

“We just kind of hit that game away and had to play catch up the rest of the way,” senior Jordan Weitzen said.

Game two proved to be different as the Crimson quickly took the lead, 4-1. The Violets trailed throughout the set, only managing to tie the score once, but never taking the lead. Junior Brady Weissbourd posted an impressive number of kills in the second set, with 16 total at a stellar .478 percentage. Harvard won easily, 30-21.

The Crimson’s success in this set was no doubt due in part to the return of a full lineup. Sophomores Soren Rosier and Gil Weintraub were back on the court, returning from injuries. Not only were they able to take their positions as middle and setter, respectively, but senior Brian Rapp was able to return to his usual libero position.

“It felt like a much calmer game than we played on Wednesday,” Rapp said.

The pace continued into the third set as Harvard defeated NYU, 30-25. After taking the lead at 10-7, the Crimson did not allow the Violets to catch up. Senior Jamie Crooks had an excellent performance, posting a large number of his 13 total kills. Weitzen finsihed off the game with a commanding kill.

The fourth game saw a reversal of roles for the two teams. The Violets took an early 7-4 lead and Harvard couldn’t come back even to tie it.

A Crimson timeout when the team was down 25-19 proved to be ineffective, as NYU eventually ended the game, 30-24, seeing little resistance from Harvard.

In the fifth game, the Crimson came out of the gates trailing, 3-1. At this point, the set became intense for both teams, as each squad needed a crucial Hay Division win.

The lead changed twice and Harvard fought hard. But when it came down to it, the Violets reached 15 first, ending the game, 15-13.

Although the Crimson lost the match, Rapp had an extraordinary night in posting 28 total digs, a new match-best for the senior. With such an impressive number, it is no surprise that Rapp has one of the highest dig counts in the country. Yet, with a loss for Harvard, Rapp claimed no credit for his great performance.

“I don’t really look at the stats,” Rapp said. “I do exactly what I am supposed to do back there. How that translated to personal stats, that’s really not an issue of mine. We lost the game. If I had made two more plays, we wouldn’t have lost.”

The Crimson faces off next on the road at Hay Division foe New Haven on Feb. 29.

Men's Volleyball