New Spring Season Opens with Wind

By Elizabeth A. Joyce, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard men’s golf team tied for second at the Fairfield Spring Invitational in an early start to the spring season.

After travelling to Myrtle Beach, S.C. to play at Crown Park, the team watched round one be washed out by torrential conditions. High scores in the round that was played stand as a testament to the challenging conditions.

Collectively, the team shot 322, finishing just nine shots back of first place Lewis University in a field of 11 schools. The Crimson was tied with Fairfield University for second place.

Junior Michael Shore paced the team with a 77, posting the tournament low. Sophomore Greg Shuman followed with a 79.

“I just sort of slapped it around for 18 holes and did all right,” Shore said. “I personally hadn’t touched a club since November. I was happy but expectations are always very high when we tee up. They need to be.”

Adding this tournament to the schedule started the spring season unprecedentedly early. Typically the team holds off on competition until after spring break. In fact, when the men teed off the team had yet to have an outdoor practice.

“It’s always tough to go out there without recent experience or practice,” said sophomore Danny Mayer, who shot 81 on the day. “So that didn’t bode well for us from the get go.”

Compounding the difficulties, the weather was not on the golfer’s side. Winds of 30 miles per hour, gusting up to 40, complicated an already less-than-optimal set of conditions.

“The whole course was pretty much drenched,” Mayer said. “There were puddles all over the place, and grass was all soggy.”

Mayer described the medium-length course as “kind of gimmicky” with “a lot of weird holes” with bumpy greens, especially in the front nine.

“The holes were designed to benefit extraordinary shots,” he said. “Even if it was in the wrong part of the fairway you’d be in trouble.”

This tournament was unique for the Crimson, however, in that all eight members of the team traveled rather than the usual five.

“We’re looking to play in competition, [since] that’s how you get better,” Shore said, happy that the entire team benefitted from extra tournament experience. “It’s a great way to start the spring”.

Overall, this tournament punished its competitors. The field was peppered with withdrawals and scores in the 90s. No one came within shouting distance of par.

“Golf in the wind is not fun,” Mayer said. “Well, it’s fun, but it’s hard.”

One month from now men’s golf will resume with the Yale Spring Opener in New Haven, after a spring break trip for practice in warmer climates.

—Staff writer Elizabeth A. Joyce can be reached at eajoyce@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Golf