Rathgeber Sets Milestones in EISL Heats

By Max N. Brondfield, Crimson Staff Writer

At this time last year, Harvard men’s swimmer Geoff Rathgeber was enjoying monumental individual achievements. This year, though, the co-captain can feel even better, as those efforts produced a team championship and undefeated campaign for the Crimson (9-0).

After losing to Princeton last season, No. 22 Harvard claimed the EISL title this weekend with 1564 points, besting the second-place Tigers by more than 300 points.

As Athlete of the Week Rathgeber proved a huge part of that victory, although he deflected praise to the rest of the squad.

“Everyone deserves a lot of credit for the hard work they’ve put in this year,” he said. “It’s been an amazing season.”

Certainly the breaststroke and the individual medley specialist has a point, as winning the Philip Moriarty Award for the most outstanding swimmer at last year’s meet did not translate into a team victory. Still, Rathgeber enjoyed the best of both worlds in 2008, sharing the award while contributing phenomenally to the team’s success.

Along with freshman Jordan Diekema, junior Bill Jones, and senior Pat Quinn, Rathgeber set a pool, meet, and EISL record in the 400-medley relay, taking first place in a scorching 3:13:34. The same group would make an NCAA “B” cut en route to claiming the 200-medley relay as well.

This 400-medley would not be the only record-setting relay, though, as Quinn, junior David Guernsey, and freshman Will Heyburn joined the athlete of the week in besting their own record in the 200 freestyle relay and claiming the record in the 400-yard event. The winning time of 1:19:31 in the 200 was good for another NCAA “B” cut.

Overall, seven records fell at the hands of the Harvard men, and assistant coach Mark Sowa admired the dominance.

“The athletes…were unbelievable,” Sowa said. “It’s fun for us to watch them enjoy the culmination of a lot of hard work.”

Without question this statement applies to Rathgeber, who posted three individual victories to accompany his relay medals.

The co-captain qualified for NCAA “A” cuts in the 200 and 400 IM, with times of 1:45:62 and 3:47:83 respectively. A win in the 200-yard breaststroke also yielded a “B” time for Rathgeber, meaning that the senior standout could compete in up to five events at Nationals.

In addition to the Moriarty award, the athlete of the week took home the Harold Ulen award for a career high point total, capping his stellar EISL career.

Yet beyond all these individual achievements, the overall victory for the team may have proved the sweetest.

Along with six other seniors, Rathgeber bookended his career with championships, earning both of the team’s two titles of the last five years.

“Our seniors will remember this forever,” Rathberger said. “I’m having a little déjà vu right now, but I think I’m even more impressed by this team.”

Harvard coach Tim Murphy agreed.

“The team’s performance was one of the best we’ve had in a very long time,” he said.

While the regional victory has provided plenty of excitement for the Crimson, Rathgeber and his teammates have an opportunity for even greater success at the Championships in Washington. In a little over two weeks, the senior will don the crimson speedo for the final time.

“I think I’m in good shape,” he said. “I’m looking forward to racing some of the top guys.”

Regardless of the results on the national stage, Rathgeber posted one of the greatest weekends in his career.

Men's Swimming