Crimson Drowned In Season Home Opener

By Nick Traverse, Contributing Writer

Home sweet home.

Sort of.

After opening the season with 12 games on the road, the Harvard women’s water polo team looked to notch a victory last night in their first game of the season at Blodgett Pool.

But Brown had other plans. The Bears (4-9) pulled away early and dominated the second half of play to record a 12-4 victory over the Crimson (6-7).

This marks Brown’s sixth straight victory over Harvard, dating back to last season. Since 2004, the Bears have controlled the series with a 14-6 advantage over the Crimson.

“We didn’t expend sufficient energy to execute what we needed to execute,” said Harvard coach Erik Farrar. “That is without a question the worst game we played all year. We were just flat and not moving. We got outplayed, outhustled, and outmuscled.”

Brown opened the first quarter with three unanswered goals before Crimson senior driver Vivian Liao tallied a score for the home team with 33 seconds remaining in the period.

The Bears continued their aggressive offensive drive in the second quarter and built on their 3-1 opening frame lead. Junior Rory Stanton netted a goal on a lob shot with 4:56 remaining, followed two minutes later by a winner from freshman Katherine Stanton.

Harvard managed to cut the deficit with two scores in the final two minutes of the first half.

Junior 2 MO Devon MacLaughlin nabbed a goal with 2:22 remaining, while co-captain 2 MD Lauren Snyder brought the Crimson back within two with another goal to close out the period.

Despite the slow start the Crimson trailed by only two goals after two quarters—at half-time the score was a close 5-3.

But Harvard never managed to tie the game in the second half as the Bears outscored the Crimson 7-1 in the second-half to take the 12-4 victory.

“We had our chances,” Farrar said. “We had a lot of good looks in front of the goal to get back and tie, but we didn’t convert. Once that happens, it’s too much pressure over too much time.”

A stifling defensive effort from Brown also contributed to the victory.

“We had trouble moving the ball offensively because they were pressing so hard,” MacLaughlin said. “They were able to pick off some of our passes. They were a lot more motion oriented than we were. They had a lot more kick outs, and they had a lot more power play opportunities.”

The lone score of the second half for the Crimson came from Liao on a long distance laser in front of the net. She anchored the Harvard offense for the evening with two scores.

“I’m extremely disappointed in our performance,” Farrar said. “I know we can do better. And I know we will. Let’s chalk this one up, take the appropriate lessons from it, and make some adjustments.”

Harvard will head to California for a series of spring break matches against Concordia, Redlands, and Cal Baptist before returning to the northeast on April 10th for a game at Connecticut College on April 10th.

A rematch with the Bears looms on the horizon for April 15.

“I think tonight’s score was not an indication of how close these two teams are,” said Brown head coach Felix Mercado. “I expect us to battle again. You know, it’s Harvard-Brown. That’s all you have to say.”

Women's Water Polo