Student Mag Taps New Media Concepts

A new project will include internet and print publications covering campus life

By Ja kyung Kim, Contributing Writer

The Harvard Voice, a self-titled campus “multimedia project,” is two weeks from the launch of its weekly print edition and is awaiting official administrative recognition.

Co-Founders Steven R. Duque ’08-’09 and Miran Pavic ’09 called The Voice an “amalgamation of media products” consisting of a weekly newspaper, a monthly magazine, and a blog.

Duque, The Voice’s publisher, said his new project hopes to address a “disconnect between what people are interested in reading and what is being published.”

“[It aims to] transform old media and update the current journalistic model to be more responsive to its readership,” he added.

Miran Pavic ’09, the editor-in-chief of The Voice, agreed that the concept of the project is radically different from existing campus publications and media groups.

“It’s going to be student-oriented, modern in layout and design, and reader-friendly,” explained Pavic.

“There are many interesting people in this community, but they don’t often have a platform for their voices to be heard,” Duque agreed. “We hope to tap into that.”

The weekly newspaper will contain short feature articles on topics ranging from campus dining halls to night life in Boston, according to the co-founders.

“We want to focus on local issues,” said Pavic. “That said, this is Harvard, so we may still cover world issues occasionally, but from the perspective of a student.”

In covering these issues, Pavic and Duque said, The Voice hopes to actively solicit readers’ input. For instance, when writing a feature article, a staff member may post his initial ideas on The Voice blog, then incorporate reader feedback into the writing process.

They said the response to their project thus far has been highly positive.

“Throughout this experience, what’s impressed me the most is the tremendous passion and excitement that people have had about the project,” Duque said.

The newspaper is in the process of negotiating with some advertising partners, such as the Tannery and the Harvard Cooperative Society, according to Duque and Pavic.

Until The Voice can secure a regular advertising revenue, the co-founders say the project will be privately financed. Marketing can begin once the publication receives official recognition from the University.

Sociology Professor Jason A. Kaufman ’93 and English Department Chair James T. Engell ’73 have agreed to be faculty sponsors for the Voice, which will be printed at The Crimson, and about 40 students have joined its staff.

May Lan Dong ’11, the organization’s director of finance and strategic relations, said she anticipates further success for the project in months to come.

Campus organizations such as Harvard-Radcliffe Television and the Harvard African Students Association have expressed interest in collaborating with the Voice, according to Pavic and Duque.