Gnarls Barkley

The Odd Couple (Atlantic) - 4 stars

By Jeffrey W. Feldman, Crimson Staff Writer

For all intents and purposes, “The Odd Couple” is Gnarls Barkley’s first genuine album. This isn’t to say that 2006’s “St. Elsewhere” didn’t have some great songs, but it was hard to look past the duo’s gimmicky nature and appreciate the album solely for its music. The immense stardom of Gnarls Barkley was built on goofy movie-inspired press photos, thousands of “Who Is Gnarls Barkley?” posters plastered across New York, and one insanely popular single. However, two years later, Danger Mouse and Cee-Lo have successfully faced the challenge of proving they have the substance to back up their cultural impact.

Though it lacks a single as universally likeable as “Crazy,” “The Odd Couple” is a dramatic improvement over its predecessor for a variety of reasons. Danger Mouse’s arrangements are far more interesting and unique, combining various different musical elements while maintaining cohesion. This is especially apparent on some of the album’s more distinctive tracks, such as “Open Book” or “Going On.” The former contains a heavy scattershot beat and a stuttering melody that periodically erupts into a chorus of “Lion King”-esque primal chanting, while the latter, which is the album’s most immediately gratifying song, integrates droning voices and mellow strings into an uplifting dance track about taking initiative. “Though there are other unknowns, somehow this doesn’t concern me,” Cee-Lo preaches, “and you can stand right there if you want, but I’m going on.”

Having outgrown “The Grey Album” and broadened his repertoire to many areas of rock and pop, Danger Mouse has incorporated a variety of his past experiences into this album. The vocal effects on “Neighbors” and “Open Book” recall his production of Gorillaz’ “Demon Days.”

Additionally, the psychedelic “Surprise,” with its “ba-ba” harmonic chorus, brings to mind an unusual influence: Athens, Ga. indie-pop band The Olivia Tremor Control, who have been previously cited by Danger Mouse as a significant influence.

Some of the album’s less hectic tracks showcase the neo-soul that the duo is best known for. “Who’s Gonna Save My Soul” is basically a mellow reprise of “Crazy,” with Cee-Lo wearily belting the titular question. Excellent album opener “Charity Case” adds female background vocals and a delicate funk beat to Cee-Lo’s admission of loneliness. “Even my shadow leaves me all alone at night,” he sings. The depressive song isn’t as brutal as 2006’s suicidal “Just A Thought,” but it’s far more serious and believable.

There are also a few shallower, shamelessly fun moments, but they don’t overwhelm the album as they did on “St. Elsewhere.” “Blind Mary” is a catchy lo-fi Motown ballad, complete with handclaps and heart-on-sleeve lyrics. Lead single “Run (I’m A Natural Disaster)” features short bursts of horns and children screaming, while Cee-Lo warns, “Run away / Run for your life!” Unfortunately, the song’s flat production detracts from any sense of urgency.

The most amusing track by far is “Whatever,” a satire of teenage emo-punk. In his best impression of a whiny 14-year-old, Cee-Lo delivers ridiculously blunt lines like “I don’t have any friends at all / ’Cause I have nothing in common with y’all.” It takes a lot of talent to create such brutally awful lyrics, and it’s hard not to laugh at the result.

“The Odd Couple” is definitely an album unlike any other. It’s certainly not perfect, and those expecting another “St. Elsewhere” may be disappointed by this mellower affair, but it’s a diverse record that surpasses most other work produced in these two artists’ careers. Gnarls Barkley may no longer be able to take advantage of the advertising gimmicks that accompanied their rise two years ago, but Danger Mouse and Cee-Lo have proven that their music can speak for itself.

—Reviewer Jeff W. Feldman can be reached at jfeldman@fas.harvard.edu.