HUDS Brings Home Gold in Cooking Contest

Harvard finishes second overall in 14th annual culinary competition

By Esther I. Yi, Crimson Staff Writer

The pork medallions may not have been made of gold, but they just as well may have been when Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) won a gold medal at a culinary competition on June 20.

Fifteen teams from various food service and catering companies and university dining services participated in the only American Chefs Federation (ACF)-sanctioned team competition, which was held last week at the 14th annual Chef Culinary Conference, sponsored by the University of Massachusetts and Johnson and Wales University.

Judged upon criteria such as flavor and texture, presentation, creativity, culinary techniques, ingredient compatibility, nutritional balance, and sanitation, the HUDS team garnered 36.4 points out of a possible 40.

The team, which has been attending the conference for the past five years, earned a gold medal and ranked second place overall in the competition. The top spot was claimed by Delaware North, one of the largest privately owned food service companies in the world.

Martin T. Breslin, director for culinary operations, selected and led the members of the HUDS team: Hillel production manager Brian P. Corcoran, Eliot and Kirkland production manager Matthew J. Pierce, and Leverett production manager Ted Smith.

Upon viewing the contents of a "mystery basket"—including ducks, snappers, a pork loin, mussels, scallops, and various fruits and vegetables—the teams had 40 minutes to compose three courses with four portions each and a buffet presentation for 12 people, using all mystery ingredients.

The teams had three hours to cook and 15 minutes to plate their meals, with access to basic pantry ingredients and only four burners. Ovens were not available.

The HUDS team's plated menu featured "seafood chowder with snapper, scallops, mussels, and roasted corn…salad of pan-seared strawberries, goat cheese, baby greens, and toasted almonds," and "pan-roasted breast of duck with sautéed yellow beets, green bean bundle, and chateaux potatoes with a port wine sauce."

The team's buffet menu featured "pork medallions with fruit stuffing on crispy eggplant with a Dijon chardonnay cream sauce."

HUDS regularly participates in different competitions— "learning experiences," HUDS executive director Ted A. Mayer said, that demand a wide range of skills and challenge the dining services to improve. In past competitions, HUDS has won awards for special events in the Houses, catered events, and even the design of the brochures, he said.

The conference allowed HUDS' chefs to "experience hands-on cooking with some of the best culinary professionals in the US and abroad," Breslin said.

"I think it speaks to the level of professionalism and skill that HUDS exhibits everyday, three times a day, in all its venues," Mayer said. "We're very fortunate to have such a dedicated group of individuals who serve our students, faculty, and staff."

—Staff Writer Esther I. Yi can be reached at estheryi@fas.harvard.edu.