McGill Unable To Contain Senior

By Christina C. Mcclintock, Contributing Writer

They say offense sells tickets and defense wins games. Co-captain Kathryn Farni has always helped the Harvard women’s ice hockey team win games, but judging by her performance against McGill on Saturday, she’ll sell some tickets this season too.

Farni scored the Crimson’s first goal before assisting on its final three in the team’s 4-1 defeat of the Martlets in an exhibition game at Bright Hockey Center.

Five minutes into the game, Farni took advantage of a shorthanded opportunity.

A McGill player was going for a long pass, but Farni read the play and intercepted the puck in the neutral zone, scoring on a breakaway.

“She has great anticipation and timing,” Harvard coach Katey Stone said. “She can be a strong threat offensively.”

Farni found the back of the net just that once, but was the catalyst for the Crimson’s remaining goals.

“The way she contributed to the following three goals was by creating and developing,” senior goaltender Christina Kessler said. “She was there in times where we needed her.”

Had the game been official, it would have been Farni’s career high in points, but those who have known the defenseman throughout her playing career say she has always had these abilities.

“She was always good,” remembered junior forward Katharine Chute, who had played on spring league teams with Farni.

“She always had really good hands, always had a really good stick.”

It’s not surprising that Farni was drawn to hockey. In Minnesota, the land of 10,000 frozen lakes, it’s a way of life.

“[Playing in Minnesota] is definitely a lot of fun,” Farni reminisced. “There are so many good players that come out of the state.”

Earning two all-state team selections, the Crimson’s co-captain was one of the best.

But she earned her reputation in high school mainly as a forward. The Minnetonka native graduated from the Hopkins School as its all-time career leading scorer, though that mark was passed last year. But Hopkins coach Vin Paolucci anticipated Farni’s move to defense in college, and made the switch her senior year.

“She has a lot of skills on the blue line,” Paolucci said.

“Her hockey IQ is one of her best attributes. She knows the game really well. The reason we moved her back is because I thought she’d be a good college defenseman.”

And through hard work, she has become just that.

“She worked as hard as anyone we’ve ever had,” Paolucci said. “And she’s continued to work hard, which is one of the things I’m most proud of. When she comes home in the summer, she works incredibly hard.”

Heading into this season, the Crimson will rely heavily on an experienced defensive unit led by Farni, co-captain Cori Bassett, and Kessler.

“You hope to be leading by example,” Farni said. “You hope to be someone who is a contributing member, supportive off the ice, and with a young team, you really want freshmen to be comfortable. [The captains are] making a really big effort to make sure everyone feels on the same page, really comfortable so we can hit the ground running.”

For all her accomplishments and leadership credentials, Farni remains humble and soft-spoken.

“She’s a great kid,” Stone said. “Her teammates love her...she’s got a strong work ethic and leads by example. Nothing flashy, nothing cocky, she just does her job.”

“She’s highly competitive,” Paolucci added. “She may be a little on the quiet side, but don’t let that fool you...She has that fire inside of her that burns...She’s one of the most competitive kids we’ve ever had and one of the most competitive people I’ve ever known.”

The Crimson hopes that drive will help take it to the top. For now, Farni remains grounded, focusing on the importance of the work ahead.

“With it being an Olympic year, you kind of don’t know what to expect,” she said. “So we’re going to focus on our effort, make sure we outwork every team we play.”

It is that desire to outwork everyone that has earned Farni respect wherever she goes. Though her high school scoring mark no longer stands, her legacy at Hopkins remains untouched, and the current team keeps track of her college career.

“I watch every game,” Paolucci said.

When the Crimson played in the NCAA Tournament in Wisconsin in 2007, Paolucci and the Hopkins girls rented a bus to go out to watch her.

“She’s just been a great role model,” Paolucci said. “Our girls at the high school team are really proud of her. As a coach, you can’t ask for anything more.”

Women's Ice HockeyAthlete Of The Week