Crimson Can’t Overlook Big Green

By Eric L. Michel, Crimson Staff Writer

As Aesop’s fable of the tortoise and the hare shows, an overwhelming favorite is prone to underestimate an opponent.

While “slow and steady” might not be the best description of the Dartmouth football team, it was only six short years ago that the Big Green and its 2-4 record played the appropriately-colored role of tortoise, shattering the Crimson’s hope for an undefeated season with a 30-16 victory at Harvard Stadium.

The following season, Dartmouth threatened to ruin Harvard’s perfect season yet again, but came up one point short after a failed two-point conversion. The Crimson went on to a 10-0 record.

With these two games in Harvard coach Tim Murphy’s memory, the Crimson has not overlooked Dartmouth since, outscoring the team 133-42 in the last four meetings.

“We’re Dartmouth’s biggest game,” Murphy said. “They go crazy to play Harvard. We will get their very best shot. Those guys will be very excited to play.”

This year, the Crimson (4-2, 3-0 Ivy) looks to avoid a repeat of 2003 and remain undefeated in all-important Ivy play when it faces the Big Green (1-5, 1-2) at noon tomorrow at Harvard Stadium—where the Crimson has won 18 of its last 20 games, including every Ivy contest since 2006.

Harvard is tied with Penn atop the Ancient Eight standings, while Dartmouth is in a four-way tie for fourth.

The Big Green is coming off of a morale-boosting 28-6 victory against Columbia. The win snapped a 17-game losing streak, which dated back to 2007.

Now, Dartmouth looks to win a second consecutive game, a feat that it has not accomplished since 2003. Additionally, it seeks its first road victory since 2006.

Leading the Big Green last week was sophomore running back Nick Schwieger, who carried the ball 29 times for a school-record 242 yards, including a 66-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter to seal the game.

As a result of these efforts, the Norton, Mass. native was named Ivy League Football Offensive Player of the Week as well as The Sports Network FCS National Offensive Player of the Week.

“Schwieger [is] arguably the best tailback in the league,” Murphy said. “He’s a very good player...very strong, very physical.”

Harvard also benefited from a strong rushing attack in its 37-3 blowout of Princeton. Junior Gino Gordon, freshman Treavor Scales, and senior Cheng Ho combined for 216 yards and two touchdowns.

Both Schwieger and the Crimson backfield will look to build on last week’s successes, especially if their respective passing games continue to struggle as they have in recent games.

After throwing for 312 yards two weeks ago against Holy Cross, Dartmouth sophomore quarterback Conner Kempe completed just eight of 22 attempts for 75 yards and threw an interception against Columbia last week. The sophomore, who is replacing injured senior Alex Jenny under center, did find the endzone twice.

Similarly, Harvard junior quarterback Collier Winters has thrown five interceptions in the last four games, including two against the Tigers. He is averaging less than 175 yards in Ivy League contests this season with a 56 percent completion percentage.

“My main goal [this week] is to have zero turnovers,” Winters said. “I have to make smart decisions on when to throw, when to run, and when to throw it away.”

The highlight of the Crimson passing game last week came in the first quarter when junior receiver Chris Lorditch caught a 77-yard touchdown bomb.

Another wideout, senior Matt Luft, has 125 career receptions this season and is two catches from tying Colby Skelton ’98 for fourth in the team all-time record book.

“There are a lot of great guys on that list,” Luft said. “It is an honor to be up there with those kinds of people.”

Furthermore, if Luft maintains his 16.3-yards-per-catch career average, he will finish atop the list in that category.

On defense, Harvard will be missing sophomore linebacker Alex Gedeon, who has three sacks this season, after he underwent surgery on Wednesday and will be out for the remainder of the season, according to Murphy.

Tomorrow, the Crimson must be cautious not overlook its opponent, or else it risks a fate like that of 2003.

If Harvard stays focused, Dartmouth won’t take home the victory, but instead the tortoise will walk “slow and steady” with its head down back to its home in Hanover.

—Staff writer Eric L. Michel can be reached at emichel@fas.harvard.edu.

PreviewsFootball